Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front D60 Locker Poll

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Ok, I've read every post I can find on front lockers. Here is my situation. I'm getting ready to rebuild my D60 up front. I am installing 4.56's, new inners, and probably new 35 spline outers with Warn hubs. My old axles are neck down inners and 30 spline outers. I need to choose a locker for up front. I'd appreciate opinions on the options. What you run, why you run it, where you run it, and would you change it. I don't do too much rock crawling, but on occasion I will. I mostly run trails in Nevada for exploration, hunting, and remote camping. I cross streams and rivers and occasional mud. Mostly though I am looking for reliabilty and simplicity. But, I am open to suggestion. I will throw down most of the lockers I know of and my current opinion, which is open to change.

Detroit Locker - Pro, solid and reliable. Con, Hard to steer in tight quarters and not real trail friendly
    Electrac - Pro, limited slip when not engaged. Con, expensive and prone to damage up front on the cover. Unproven and rumors of design changes.
    Powertrax No Spin - Pro, Reasonable price, easy installation. Con, not as beefy as a Detroit.
    Powertrax Lockright - Pro, cheap and easy to install. Con, not as beefy as a Detroit.
    Ox Locker - Pro, cable activated so simple to operate. Con, unproven and company problems. Expensive.
    Auburn Limited Slip - Pro, reliable company. Good reputation for a limited slip. Con, springs wear and unit must be replaced. Not as positive engagement as a Detroit or Powertrax.
    Eaton Limited Slip - Pro, Good company reputation. Supposedly better engagement than Auburn. Con, still a limited slip.
    ARB Air Locker - Pro, option of turning on or off. Decent reputation. Con, expensive. Potential relilability issues with compressor and air lines.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

People who tell you front lockers make it really hard to steer are full of crap. I run a lockright in my front axle with the welded rear. there is a noticable increase in steering input required to steer but nothing bad or brutal unless you run no power steering.

You feel it yes, but it isn't terrible like some people make it out to be. In real tight trails you might have to make a 3 point turn you wouldn't have had to with an open front but if you didn't have a locked front you probably wouldn't be there anyway right.

One reason I dont like selectable lockers is you forget to select them. I have seen people with ARB's and I don't I would run them after seeing them in action. The locker themselves are great but as a driver in a tense or tight situation you are always fiddling with switches and you forget to rengage them.

I watched a Bronco and Jeep recently with ARB's on the rocks and they were moving around and locking, unlocking, etc. The spotter was always yelling at the driver to make sure the lockers were locked, the comprossor was on, etc. On one obstical the driver forgot to lock the lockers on more then one occasion. Always having to flip those switches and trying to remember would suck in my opinion.

With my truck it is lock the hubs, engage 4 wheel drive, and go. If I have to turn real tight I unlock a hub or make a multipoint turn.

Harley

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

None of the above.

I'd use the Power-Lock. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I went throu the same dilema as you...I am rebuling my D60 and putting a locker in it. I have a 14bff in the rear with a detroit. After MUCH debate, I decided on a Detroit for the front, too. It is simple, proven and you don't have to do sh!t for it to work. It works its magic all by itself....

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I agree. I was very aprehensive about putting the Detroit in the front, but after our first test run I looked at my son and said, "that's it." I do have hydro assist, and the steering is quite simple. I have to say that the positives far out weigh the negatives.

In the famous words of Toby Harrell, 2003 TTC winner, "my body looked like yours unitl I got a locker in the front." /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

If you have a 203 or twin stick a 205 it really doesn't matter on the steering, just throw it in 2 Lo and make your turn. I cruise around in 2 Lo as much as I can cause it is just less stressful on the front end. The lock right has the price but their reliability is up in the air for hardcore use. The detroit always works but takes some good skills to install. If I could afford it I would go detroit. I am gonna see if I blow a lockright first though. Then maybe have rob send them a letter.

I am anti-selectable also due to watchin' air locker'd rigs flip switches and spin tires for 5 mins on a 2 min obsticle. Kinda pointless to pay extra for an open diff option.

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Powertrax No Spin

[/ QUOTE ]
    Powertrax does not make the No-Spin, Trac-Tec (Detroit Locker) does, in fact the Detroit for a FF14B is a No-Spin.

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Good catch, it is a powertrax no-slip that should be listed. Basically a lockright with extra parts to fail.

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I know one guy that runs one. No problems, he's pleased w/ it. He ran a regular Lock-Rite in his 10B and likes the N/S better, but that may be due to the fact that its in a 60 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

How about a true trac? I tentivly planned on running one in my front 10B along with a detroit in the rear. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

For hardcore use, with rocks in mind I would say a detroit in the front with a D60.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I am going with a Lock-Right. $550 for the detroit plus paying someone to install it is out of my budget. If I was changing gears I would go that route, but for right now, a Lock-Right is what I'm going to use.

In fact that is going to be my next purchase if I can find the coin here in the near future.

12. Desert Rat

My bad, I have the Powertrax brochure and it says No-Slip, not No-Spin. I blame it on poor eyesite which I blame on......well, never mind........ One thing I didn't mention, I am going with crossover steering. I am getting Dedenbear knuckles, rebuilding the kingpins, and probably using ORD components. I don't have hydroassist steering. I hadn't planned on going with a RAM steering setup either. Money isn't an issue. Not because I have any, but because I want to do it right to begin with. I don't punish the rig enough that I will be replacing parts every trip. I am building the rig for reliability and durability when I am waaaaay in the boondocks.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Pass on the knuckles and kingpins unless they're required and get the hydro assist instead.

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

with that list of parts you are definitely looking at Detroit to maintain the same level

powerlock owner that is going to upgrade to detroit chiming in

15. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

FWIW, you can get a new D60 detroit for 4.56+ and 35-spline inners for about $460...just check out ebay and wait for a wholesaler to throwem up...

Chris

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    FWIW, you can get a new D60 detroit for 4.56+ and 35-spline inners for about $460...just check out ebay and wait for a wholesaler to throwem up...

Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

$460 + at least $200 to install is still out of my budget right now. I'm going to try the Lock-Right and see how it works. If it fails, I'll try something else.

17. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

hands down the detriot /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

18. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Running detroits here, my only tears are from happiness. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

19. Desert Rat

[ QUOTE ]
    Pass on the knuckles and kingpins unless they're required and get the hydro assist instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could go Hydro Assist I suppose if I need it. How much work is it to install and what are the benefits over the regular setup? I plan on swapping in a better master cylinder and booster anyway.

20. Desert Rat

Looks like the Detroit up front is leading the pack by a wide margin.