Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front D60 Locker

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbLover, Apr 1, 2004.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at getting a rebuilt Boyce D60 & was debating about having it built with a locker. The question, which one? I was debating between the detroit & the ARB.

So, give me some opinions as to why you chose what you did & would you do it the same if you did it over?

Thanks!!

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

detroit, simple, cheaper, and bullet proof.

j

3. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Detroit. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I got a detroit.. hopefully put it in on saturday!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

plus a detroit in the rear!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    NOT THAT REAR!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

front detroits are hard to come by now.. 4wheel parts had 4 left after I ordered mine....

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    plus a detroit in the rear!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    NOT THAT REAR!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Shouldn't it depend if he DD this rig too, wouldn't a locked front be bad on the street? Tell me how you like the rebuilt boyce D60, I'm thinkinh about going that route for my axles. Thanks

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I did a poll recently asking the same question. Take a gander at this thread:

Ooooh, looky here

The Detroit won out but the ARB came in second. I was determined to go Detroit but ended up going ARB at the last second. Those are probably the best two choices in my opinion....

7. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I run an ARB up front and I dont ever see myself running anything else.When you dont need it you can unlock it,and being able to unlock your front end is nice when ya wanna turn sharp.After having an ARB in my 44 there was no question as to what was going in my 60 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

but when you need it and didnt lock it in you are pooched
    detroit will be there for you even when you didnt think you would need it
    I know my powerlok has saved me in lots of spots that I would have tried open and failed

9. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Yeah, but with the Detroit I am prone to humming "Detroit Rock City" by Kiss. With the ARB, I can always throw another shrimp on the barby....... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

10. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Detroit in the rear and a Detroit in the D60 that will going up front in a few weeks

Chris

11. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. The cost may have something to do with my decision. Not sure how much more the ARB would be, plus I'd need the compressor & such.

I was leaning toward the Detroit anyways.

BTW, this rid will only see the road from my house to the trails, until I get a trailer, that is.

12. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Shouldn't it depend if he DD this rig too, wouldn't a locked front be bad on the street? Tell me how you like the rebuilt boyce D60, I'm thinkinh about going that route for my axles. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
    An auto locker does not lock without input from the drive shaft. So, as long as it is not broke and locked permanently (like a spool) you will never know it's there on the street. Some people say they can feel it, but I've never noticed it, at least not over the big out of balance tires that were on most front locked truck I ever drove. My family "light duty" 1 ton K5 has an auto locker in the front with balanced BFG 35" AT/KOs and I think it drives fine.

As for Boyce, IMO, I would say don't even consider him unless you have a large supply of lube and a jail rape fantasy (small over dramatization, but I think you’ll get the idea). Or maybe if you have plenty of money and just want to do it the easiest way with no research, looking, or waiting. No, never mind… not even then. If that were the case you should just call up Dynatrack (or similar) for the crazy top end, or ORD for a well built hard core Spicer based D60. I expect you could get a nice axle from some place like ORD cheaper than a stock rebuild from Boyce, unless he has gotten his prices more back in line with reality.

13. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Detroit, I did the detroit because I found it for $325. If I did it over again I would pick the detroit.

14. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Detroits in the front an fanfuckintacular. no air lines, no "LOCK YOUR FRONT" junk from your spotter.

The switch is Rita's right foot. I wouldn't know, I never wheel, so that's what she tells me.

15. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks guys. The cost may have something to do with my decision. Not sure how much more the ARB would be, plus I'd need the compressor & such.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your buying a 60 from Boyce yet worried about the cost difference between a Detroit and ARB /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

16. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

[/ QUOTE ]

Your buying a 60 from Boyce yet worried about the cost difference between a Detroit and ARB /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It comes down to me having (2) D60's & (1) 14BFF that I could sell. Since I have no freakin clue on rebuilding one, I was thinking about going this way. I was also gonna price Avalanche Eng & Poison Spider Customs in Denver due to shipping charges on the Boyce (although they said $100 to a business). I can get my D60 completely rebuilt local for $1000, but that doesn't include new gears and a Detroit. 4WPW & Tanner 4x4 (local shop) will do it for about $750, but I'm not sure I trust either on them.

17. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

detroit front and rear /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

if you need to turn sharp just apply more throttle, if you still need more....then get a bigblock /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

So you wont no the detroit is in the front unless you lose traction? Wouldn't it only work while in 4wd too? Thanks

19. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

sorry I was just being funny, the locker engages its self when the wheels are geting different amounts of traction or a lack of /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

or so I am told, I have yet to drive mine /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

20. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

A detroit work by "locking the differential when a certain amount of power is applied. When you are coasting through a turn or are giving it a minimal amount of gas, the detroit will allow the outside tire to "overrun" the inside tire. But if you goose the gas a bit, it will lock out the diff and you tires will chirp...

It is kinda cool to lock chirp your tires like that on demand...IN the front, as long as there is no power going throu the d-shaft, the diff will not lock up and the driving characteristics will be NORMAL.

Chris