Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front D60 locker

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheGeneral, Sep 27, 2001.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

What is best locker for a front D60? I drive on road and off-road. Have detroit rear.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

2. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Define "best"

Poundin' the ol "pavment"!

3. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

not really a dana60 specific topic.
    comes down to selectable vs locker vs LS
    if you like selectable, last i knew ARB was the only player
    locker, i like the origonal detroit no spin but Red will tell you the benefits of his lock wrongs. as the factory case is beefy he has a valid point, unsure about how the hubs locked handling will be, fill us in Red.
    limited slip, i have a powerlock, works well but it isnt a locker so it will unload. stiff enough to be useful off road, and annoying when the hubs are locked on road. wouldnt try anything less than that

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I've got a Detroit in the front (D60) and rear (14BFF) of my '79. Only been out in sand so far with it, but under power it doesn't want to turn..........but any good locker/posi in the front I believe would do the same. I was under low lock heavy throttle when I say this, so keep that in mind. Now, as soon as I got off the stupid pedal, the thing went exactly where I wanted it to go.

Depends on what you want for the truck, as with any mod. If you live in snow/ice country, a Detroit might not be the ticket. I built this thing (or should I say 'am building', cause it will never be done) to wheel primarily in sand and to be bulletproof. I was sick and tired of my Auburn rear posi that my motor's torque could defeat in the dunes so that's why a Detroit went in both ends. Guaranteed it won't slip.

Would I do a front Detroit again? Ask me after winter and I make a couple of snow runs up to Mt. Hood. For sand, the answer is a definitive YES.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>