Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front D60 movement!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sageman, Jan 28, 2003.

1. sageman

sageman Registered Member

Anyone with a front D60 have problems with the use of aftermarket springs on this axle? I was told the aftermarket springs are all 2 3/4" wide and the OEM springs are 3" and that the axle tends to move around as the spring pack is an 1/8" away from the shoulder on the center section(housing, pumpkin). This space leave room for the axle to move.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There is no shoulder holding the axle. The springs have a center pin and the perches have holes...

Rene

3. sageman

Do you have a front D60? If you do you better look again! There is a shoulder /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

yeh on one side of it and the only reason it's there is beacuse it's part if the center chunk.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I believe he is talking about the shoulder on the passenger side of the diff where the studs mount. And yes, the springs do not fit in tight against it because they are narrower that stock. However, the other locating points you mentioned are the important ones.

More significant (IMO) is that the spring plate on the passenger side no longer pulls down on (or rather almost to) the shelf (shoulder) where the studs mount. I've heard that this can lead to problems with sheared studs. Wasn't it MJ that posted something on this a year or so ago? Anyway, I bought the alloy studs for my D60 (rated above G8 in all categories) that were long enough to bottom in the holes and I keep a vigilant eye on the torque. I just hope they don’t rip out as others have had happen.

Anyway, that's my thoughts...

6. tRustyK5

Yes I have a D60...what I said was there is no shoulder holding the axle. The center pin does that. As near as I can tell the shoulder is there only due to having to machine the spring pad in the side of the housing.

I run grade 8 all thread studs bottomed in the perch...and I don't anticipate having any problems with that.

rene

7. sageman

I did not mean to make you fell burnt /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Rene but I don't know whos' got what under their units, sorry!
    I understand the pins in the springs and the holes in the perches do the locating, but the shoulder helps to keep the axle and the spring tight together. If you were to put a stock 3" spring in this spot there would be next to nothing for clearance there and in this case (in my eyes) less is better!
    Thanks for your comments.

8. tRustyK5

I wasn't feeling burnt.../forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I was just clarifying what I meant, should have added a few of these

Rene