Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front D60 upgrades and locker

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheGeneral, May 5, 2002.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

o'kay, I already have to replace inner seals on diff, so wondering about how difficult to put in detroit upfront. DO I have to take out pinion shaft? and essentially redo my gears (pain in the As!) or is it easy as 14FF, just take out carrier, remove ring gear, bolt on to detroit, put back in carrier, and so on). Next is the inner seals, I fried em trying to weld on the diff housing (for hydro mount)? I don't have any outer seals, are there any? Kind of new on whole D60 maint. Next is shafts. My D60 was from a CUCV and is 4.56. What kind of axle upgrades can be made. From reading posts, it would seam as if they came with 35 spline inners and 30 outers, what do I need to upgrade to 35 spline inner and outer. Thanks for any help.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Baddog just did or is in the process of replacing the seals. He to fried his seals by welding on the housing for hydro. You might PM him and ask about the install of the seals. I can't really help with the rest though sorry.

3. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

Just had the detroit done to mine and it's not like the 14ff, you are gonne have to reshim like if you installed new gears in it.

As far as i know you could upgrade to the 35 outers and it's pretty much a matter of replacing axle u-joints and new lockouts.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yep, just did all new seals and a locker to my D60.

Putting a Detroit in requires a new carrier and is a full setup, everything must be reset. I was planning on doing a Detroit too. However, I talked to person after person out here who run Lock-Rites in D60s with big tires and have no trouble. Even after breaking multiple shafts and joints, the Lock-Rites live on. From what I'm hearing, in a D60, the LRs outlive the DLs. I do know one thing, the D60 LR is HUGE compared to the 12B, 10B, and D44 versions. So, I went with the LR. Just a couple of hours to do it, and it costs several hundred dollars less than the DL. Basically, it's even easier to do the LR in a D60 as opposed to the DL in a C14, and the mechanism seems equivalent. Your using a big honking locking unit inside a big honking factory carrier which is strong enough not to need upgrading. We'll see...

There are no outer seals, only inner. The carrier must be removed to get to them, and they are a bit of a PIA to get out without the special puller, but it can be done. Don’t worry about shims when you remove the carrier, they are behind the bearings and you can’t get the mixed up. The pinion seal is easy enough to do too. However, to do it by the book, you’ll need an inch-pound torque wrench to set the preload. I just winged it on mine. Is it good enough? Beats me but on a trail rig I figured what the heck. Also, no crush sleeves to worry with.

As for the axles. If you have the necked down (pre-84?) inners, that is one place you can upgrade for reasonable $$ and have spares left over. CTM makes the knuckle joints but they are $$$. 35 spline outers (from select D70s) are common upgrades as well, but you’ll need the 35 spine Warn hubs. Seems like I saw a post where someone else is making 35 spine hubs but don’t recall for sure.

Got specific questions about the D60, give me a PM. I’ve been completely through mine now from one end to the other. Only thing I haven’t done is a gear setup…

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I think the necked down shafts were only used up untill 1980. Shawn used to have an article on Offroad.comChevy section about the 35 spline outers but I cant find it.

6. BadDog

Yeah, ORC's Chevy tech stuff is getting really bad. Several articles I remember can't be found now. Looks like their just gone. Too bad, it was one of the best GM tech resouces around.

7. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

what ones in particular are u looking for ? i thought some wer gone too but i found em after grousing around a bit .

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Jack over at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.ctmracing.com>CTM Racing</a> makes indestructible u-joints and is starting to make a few cro-mo D60 axle shafts. problem is your R&amp;P is probably the weak link after that.

9. BadDog

Hmm, don't remember the exact articles. I just know I went looking for a couple that I knew were there and couldn't find them. I sent an email and a PM to Shawn over a month ago asking what happened to the missing articles and got no reply at all. Maybe they were buried in there somewhere, but I couldn’t find them under the review or tech sections…

10. BadDog

Aha, I still have the email I sent him. It was longer ago that I thought, Jan 11.
    <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Previously there were 2 pages of tech articles available on ORC. Now, the last several have no images, and the second page is gone. Someone was looking for info on putting a Detroit in a C14FF and I couldn't even find the article. Am I missing something? Also, the link to your email/bio (tried to use it to find your email) is broken.

<hr></blockquote>
    Second page is still missing. Images are still missing. And I still can't find the C14FF Locker article.

11. gtkustoms

gtkustoms 1/2 ton status

I got this from another post

SPICER 35 SPLINE STUB AXLES ARE 3-82-871 THAT IS FOR A DANA 60F.

Hubs are Warn Part # 38786 for a pair or 38787 for just 1 of them for a spare
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.4wdfactory.com>4wdfactory</a>

This place has the locker on sale for $480 and the 35 spline outer shaft kit for $370

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

13. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Shoot "90blzr" a pm and ill bet he can get you some good prices on everything you need, and hes a member so you know you're gonna get what you want. Im gonna deal w/ him in a couple weeks for this stuff.

14. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Thanks Danny! And also, I dont have the PN in front of me right now, but Warn has just come out with a hub just for the D60 35spline conversion. ONE part number and is ready to go, no mixing and matching....

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I just saw an ad for D70 hubs, milemarkers I think.
    anyone know if they are useable for 60 with 35 splines?