Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front dana 44 or 10 bolt?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Redfrog, May 6, 2001.

1. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

What is the difference between the D44 and the corp 10 bolt
    I know the ten bolt sucks a$$ but what is its main down fall?
    and what is the easiest way to tell them apart with out tearing
    in to them. and what am I going to have to change when I go to a NP205 from a 203? Any help?

hey Fords!!! how many flushes does it
    take to get rid of you

2. freeforever

freeforever 1/2 ton status

You can thell the difrence by the way it looks on the out side...go to the home page and look under the technical articles and there is a identification chart that will show you what you have. I have the danna 44 and it does alrite....and the 10 bolt...id be shamed if I hade one of thoes :)

[​IMG]
    "You can talk the talk...but can you walk the walk?"

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Dana 44 or 10 bolt...virtually the same for strength.

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

4. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

While the ring and pinion are the same strength in the d44 and 10bolt, I chose to switch my 1/2 ton d44 6-lug for a 3/4 ton 10 bolt 8-lug due to the larger and stronger axle tubes and diff case in the 10-bolt. My D44 had 3" axle tubes and the 10 bolt has 3.25" tubes. The 10 bolt diff case is 2 inches wider and 1 inch taller than my D44 housing. These things do make a big difference in resisting bending the axle housing in the rocks. My $.02. JT

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The specs on the 10-bolt and Dana 44 are virtually identical (I'm assuming we are talking front axles here since the 44's were not offered in the rear of a Blazer), so there is very little difference in strength. Basically, if you were ashamed to have a 10-bolt then you I guess you should also be ashamed to have a 44.

Obviously the Dana 60 is the way to go.....if you have the cash to blow, but between the Dana 44 and 10-bolt, I actually the prefer the 10-bolt. The reason is that 10-bolts are much easier and cheaper (at least around here) to find in junkyards. Dana 44's haven't been used in GM trucks since the late 70's, so any that you do find are at least 20 years old, while 10-bolt fronts were used up to '91 in the Blazers and Suburbans.

All in all, if you already have one it's not worth it to swap out to the other....unless you are changing gears or going from 6 to 8 lug in which sometimes it's cheaper and easier to swap the whole axle.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I am ashamed you have to put down a good axle!!! [​IMG] There is nothing wrong with the 10 bolts. They are pretty much in the same league as the D44. Matter of fact, many parts are comparable but not interchangable. Parts are easy to get for both. With the D44, you have to be careful when getting parts because GM made two types of the D44's. They classified them as the "first design" and "second design". Many people dont know about the differences. So, if you have the 10 bolt, its a very simple axle and very effective too.
    BTW, Stephen Watson ran a 10 bolt front on his green blazer for quite some time before he switched over to the D60. Take it from a pro who knows his axles. [​IMG]

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by thatK30guy on 05/07/01 09:44 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

7. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

sorry,thats why I'm asking I did not mean to offend

take to get rid of you

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[​IMG] I don't think there is much you can say to Westy that would offend him...

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

9. thatK30guy

[​IMG] LOL, Rene!!! [​IMG] Yeah, you are about right on all counts here! [​IMG]

10. freeforever

WTF??????? I was jokein! what do think the little :) smiley was for? man....i know the 44 isent mutch difrent....sorry...?

[​IMG]

11. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

I was jokein to I just forgot the :)

take to get rid of you

12. freeforever

People judge to quickley....but it's all good rite?

[​IMG]

13. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Yeah, Its all good , thanks for your input.

take to get rid of you

14. thatK30guy

[​IMG] Hahahaha! You guys are killin me here! NO, NO, I wasnt griping or bitching or nothing like that! [​IMG] I was simply stating a fact, one that everyone should know that GM stuff are the best parts, even better than Ford, Dodge, etc. So, thats why I was "ashamed" about the 10 bolt being talked "negatively". [​IMG] No big deal here, guys!!! Dont be afraid, either, I know you guys didnt mean harm, but neither did I!!! [​IMG]