Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front Dana 60 aftermarket shafts

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by four_by_ken, Apr 23, 2002.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Can you get them?

Ken H.

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

If Stephen can't, check with Boyce Equipment. I have bought D60 parts from them before and they are much cheaper than the dealership.

3. four_by_ken

I stay away from dealerships like I would a disease. Plus dealerships wont offer anything but replacment stuff,which I thought Boyce was just an expensice OEM replacement store.

I am looking for some descent chrome moly or such.

Ken H.

4. Mr.Chevy4x4

Are you breaking the factory D60 shafts??????? And if so, HOW????? From my personal experiences, the front drivshaft will break something long before a D60 axle shaft will let go.

5. four_by_ken

Dana 60s are not indestructible.

454 and 44s can do in a Dana 60. Stub shafts.

Ken H.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

you could prolly get some chrome-moly shafts from Warn. I think they still make stock-length ones. Add in a set of 35-spline outters... and bring on them 44s... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

J

7. Mr.Chevy4x4

I never said they were indestructable, but I will say they are not usually the weakest link in the line. And we all know the weakest part is the one that is going to let go. If you are regularly breaking 60 shafts, then I want to know who built your driveshafts!

8. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I broke a D60 stub shaft with a stock front driveshaft--Saginaw CV at the top, 1310 joint at the bottom.

Pete

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

if you are really that worried, Jack over at CTM Racing and Machining makes indestructible (or so it looks) u-joints and some custom ultra strong axles. they have a write-up on them over on the Pirate4x4.com

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

At this point the D60 axle world isn't too big. We carry stock replacements, they're about $85-$100 for inners, 35 spl stubs run about 85.00.
    There are probably custom chromo shafts out there but nothing I would consider affordable.

For ujoints, CTM has the 300M joints for a bunch of money, Spicer 332's aren't bad, and spicer has a new joint that's supposed to be stronger, the 733 I think?

BUT, Randy's is making noise about a mass produced 4340 chromo D60 shaft, ford and GM stubs, and a variety of inners and blanks. At prices not far from the price for STOCK axles. They're supposed to be available later this year, I'm not planning on seeing them till snow flies again.

I'm fairly new to the big tire and big axle show but I've had good luck with good condition spicer axles and know lots of guys in the same boat. They will stretch out and start causing problems, so the "good condition" part is important. It might be economical to replace what you have with new stock and call it good? Then wait for randy's to come out with theirs?

At some point you need to be concerned with ring and pinion strength, super strong axles are going to do a lot more to the diff and gears than they were designed for, we may end up needing D70 centersections before too long!