Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Dana 60 Help!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sta500666, May 31, 2005.

1. sta500666

sta500666 1/2 ton status

Ok I just got a dana 60 front and it didnt come with any kingpin style hubs or rotors. My question is can I use ford kingpin style hubs and rotors instead of chevy with out any trouble??? I ask this because I need to find some quick and I found some on ebay. Here is the page of the ford parts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7976994567

Please help asap.

Thanks,

Luke

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i dont folow? if no king pins then its newer 60 or not 60. please explane better.

chevy and dodge are same on most parts. ford is all its own. but if you get from knuckle out then it will swap and dont forget the stub shaft.

3. sta500666

sta500666 1/2 ton status

there i edited my original so take a look. Thanks. I really don't know lol.

4. sweetk30

what was your axle under origanaly? and is it king pin? thats what i dont get.:cool1:

5. sta500666

sta500666 1/2 ton status

Its from a 1 ton chevy truck I'm not sure what year but I dont think that matters. To tell you the truth I don't know if it is a king pin or not I just thought all dana 60 fronts were.

6. sweetk30

o.k. no ford stuff in the ebay sale wont work. need more parts. and the newer dodge and ford 60 axles are balljoint setups. but mid 90s and up for those. make sure its a king pin unit. lots of people try to scam off or dont know the diffrence and think just cause 8 lug and dana brand its a 60. need 4 bolts in the place of ball joint nut.

7. sta500666

sta500666 1/2 ton status

What other parts will I need if I were to do it?

8. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

9. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

All dana 60 are, its the dana 50 that have a ball joint style knuckle. And I am almost 100 percent sure that the all 1-ton chevys came with 60 up until they switched to the IFS. Look at the BOM numbers if your are unsure, bill vista has a huge write up and great info regarding the dana 60 at pirate. Or look on the front cover on the housing and it should have something like 60F stamped into it and that will tell you. Or it will say 50, obviously designating the dana 50 front, I do believe those came in the late model fords, like the superduties and what not. To tell for sure look at the ears of the housing, on the top ear it should have a cone shape, and inside is a place for a very large allen wrench. On the bottom there should be a little bearing race facing downwards. To answer your questions regarding the knuckles the fords do fit the chevy king pins. You will however have to use the caliper because the caliper bracket is different and as a result the spindle is a different bolt pattern. But the hubs are all the same as well as rotor and bearings. On the upside the ford has a twin piston caliper where the chevy has a big single. Although I have heard it said before that the casting of the ford knuckles are a bit weaker than the chevys, though I have no proof to back it up. Hit me up if you need any help, I spent many hours doing tons of research before I fully rebuilt my 60 from the inside out. :D

10. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Good while I was writing your novel akmudr posted pirate4x4 write up. And a good pic of the king pins. Oh and btw the ford knuckles I was talking have to be the king pin style of course.

11. sta500666

sta500666 1/2 ton status

Ok thanks for the info