Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Dana60 seal replacement and who has the Dana60 Manual.zip?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BorregoK5, May 21, 2002.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I have a leaky seal on the drivers side of my D60. I haven't pulled one apart before though, are there any special tools needed? Can anyone give me a link to the Dana60.zip which has the manual breakdown of one. Might help this process.

2. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/dana60manual.shtml>http://coloradok5.com/dana60manual.shtml</a>

3. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Wheel bearing seal or inner carrier seal?

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks Leland, exactly what I was looking for.

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Inner carrier seal, unfortunately! I figure this will be good practice for when/if I break a wheel u-joint as well. Might just replace them while I'm in there.

6. Mr.Chevy4x4

Sorry to hear that, not too bad of a job though. I wouldn't recommend changing the u-joints unless they really need it. You can actually weaken the yolk on the shaft when you press out the old and press in the new u-joint. I would recommend going to Sears and getting their $15 seal puller, it makes the job much easier. Good luck and let us know if you run into any snags.

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for talking me out of the U-Joint replacement. I was going to do it since I was in there anyhow but they were still good so I didn't really want to futz with them. Do I just take the caps off the top and bottom of this knuckle, I assume unbolt some type of king nut? These are oriented different than my old dana44. I'll look into that seal puller too.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Just pull the spindle off the knuckle, then you can pull out the axle. No need to mess with king pins or removing the knuckle. However, you will have to drop the carrier out to get to the seals from the inside.

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Oh, well that's a convenient design on the axle (whew!). I just buttoned up the front with new gear oil which is how I found the leak (unfortunately). I didn't know there were seals in the carrier housing though. I had already purchased them thinking the outer seals were in the back of the spindle and the inner were inside the ends of the axle tubes.

10. Mr.Chevy4x4

Yes, unfortunately you do have to remove the carrier to replace the seals. When replacing the carrier you will need a good dead-blow hammer or a block of wood and a sledge to drive it back in. It will be a very tight fit! Good luck!

11. Mr.Chevy4x4

That is unless you have a case spreader! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

This would be to replace the pinion seals though, correct? Thankfully, that one doesn't leak!

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Nope, you remove the yoke to replace the pinion seal. Like I said earlier, you have to remove the carrier to get to the axle seals. They are inside the differential housing, pressed into the case just inside where the tubes are pressed in.

Also, my carrier wasn’t hard to get in or out, as long as I had it lined up correctly. No hammer or spreader required. I’m told it varies by axle though…

14. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Oh grumble! Now why did they do that! Well, grin and bear it, its not going to get done unless I get out there.

Thanks everyone!