Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front defroster problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FOSGATE5, Mar 7, 2001.

1. FOSGATE5

FOSGATE5 Registered Member

Back in December I hit a bump and it aparently knocked the arm that opens the vent for the front defroster off of it's connecting point. I took the truck in and had it fixed. They charged me $115 ($9 for the connecting arm and $90 in labor) I had no problem pay it at the time since I had more money than time then. But yesterday the same damn thing happened. I have yet to call the dealer that did the repair work to jump on their case. But what I'd like to know is this common? Also I had the dash apart at one time but could not find an access point to where the connection arm connects to that particular vent trap. Anyone know how to get in and fix this? This is on a 91 K1500 Blazer LT.

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Man! What kind of bumps are you hitting?! I would think you can hit a bump without it coming apart.

[​IMG] Keep your feet dry [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

3. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I Just fixed my defroster yesterday. But my problem was the little plastic clip that holds the arm to the door was broken, I hear that that is a very common piece to break. That piece was located to the left of the glove box. It is where there is a 90 degree bend which will divirt hot air either to the vents or heater. If that isn't broken, in the middle of the cab on the floor where the floor ducts are, take the plastic bottom off(the thing that makes the floor air go to your feet). You'll see the vacume acuater to the left of that, that is what divirts the air to defroster or floor. So those are the only places that could be broken and making you not have a defroster. I'm assuming your truck has a/c, if it dosen't, I bet things are kinda the same but with cables instead of vacume. This all sounds confusing but when you sit down and look at it, it really isn't. Hope this helps. :-) Oh yea, take the glove box out, it makes things much more visible.

"if it ain't got rust, it ain't got character."

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Itali83 on 03/07/01 12:06 PM (server time).</FONT></P>