Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front dif bump stop

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Jan 15, 2006.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Who here is still running their bumpstop for the pumpkin on the front dif. I am puttin in a 60 and want to remove it will I kill my oil pan if I dont have it? Will be running a 4" lift spring pretty stiff 5 leaf pack.

Ira

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

neither of my 83s or my dads 85 came with one, they have the 2 over the spring plate and 1 on the pass side back side of the spring. ive never seen a bumpstop there in person, only in pics on here. i think you'll be safe.

3. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I pulled mine. I had to though, because it was in the way of the headers. I also replaced the other two bumpstops with taller ones just in case.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I pulled the one off of mine and have been running it (with stock suspension) for years.

My springs routinely contact the bumpstops on the frame (both the center and rear ones) and hasn't caused a problem.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Great that is one more thing to take off before the front goes back in.

Ira

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just as an FYI, I also picked up a couple of extra stock bumpstops to trim and see how much more flex I can get BEFORE I start having issues with the driveline.

The stock stops have a lot of rubber to them before you get to the metal insert, I figure at least another half inch of travel to be had there, with enough rubber to still do the job. Odd to me in that the springs as is sit level (stock 3 leafs) but move so easily that they apparently "bottom out" all the time. I'm going to do a before/after to see if the issue is daily, or just off the road, but with the (typical) jarring ride of these trucks, I suspect even speedbumps are enough to bottom out. But that will be months at best. :(