Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front diff noises?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by justhorsinaround, Sep 15, 2004.

1. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Can a well used (plenty of slop) front differential (10 bolt) make banging noises when starting and stopping and coming out of turns? I've been trying to chase down this noise for about a month now with no luck until it dawned on me this mornin while driving that this might be the issue.
    I pulled the front driveshaft here a while back thinkin that that might have been the cause but alas it wasn't.
    I appears the motor mounts are in good shape as it doesn't rock from side to side when goin back and forth from drive to reverse and the tranny mount is brand spankin new and snugged down.
    Everything is tight and or lubed up front so I'm pretty sure that's not it so this leaves me with no other ideas.
    What do y'all think? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Have you checked your rear driveshaft ujoints? How is the slop in the rear axle? If the driveshaft is removed from the front so it isn't getting power I don't think you could get a bang out of it. Might be slop in the 203 as well.

Harley

3. justhorsinaround

I just replaced the u-joints in the rear. Heh ask Russ and Nick for confirmation as to how hashed the front one was and was still functional. I'm pretty sure the 203 is well on the way out the door and the rear diff. is pretty tired as well. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Welcome to my world.
    It just doesn't seem like the bang, crash, pop is comin from under my butt when drivin. I can feel it through the floor boards by the pedals. I spose the 203 acting up could be felt there as well. I dunno.
    I do know the whole drivetrain could use to be gone through and replaced but we'll have to wait for the new job checks to start comin in before I can do anything about that.
    Crap like this that I can't figure really just bugs the snot outta me. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Allan , try removing your drive slugs temporarily to see if it goes away , I don't think its the front axle , because you ran it without front shaft ( I.E no power to it , so it just rode along with tires ) , but it wont take much to check /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. pauly383

Oh wait a minute , you have a Gov Loc 12 bolt right ? Well my steering felt funny , and I heard a pop sounding like it was front on turns sometimes , but not everytime . But shortly after that a few times , my Gov Loc blew in the original 10 bolt . /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

I had slow speed creaking noises , but that was my old springs .

6. justhorsinaround

Not a Gov lock. It took Tj just over a second to identify the rear end as a limited slip.
    Hell fellas I don't know. Wimpy didn't make hardly any odd noises this afternoon.
    On an up note the lifters are really quieting down nicely. I don't know why they've decided to do this but they are.

7. pauly383

That reminds me , you still have my oil deflectors /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. justhorsinaround

Nuh uh. Not me. Must've been someone else. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Well crap. Now I gotta find the little buggers wherever I stashed them.
    On a different note, I got the grand idea to maybe hold on to the t-case lever when she usually makes the noise and sure enough I could feel the bang with my hand. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Ah well, at least I can be pretty sure now that a tire ain't gonna come flyin off the front end.

9. pauly383

Maybe its finally time to drop that 203 and do the part time kit , and freshien her up , chain etc . If you needed a worktruck for the interim , sell Tj's Sub while hes OTR and buy this Corvair van by me for 1500 /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif