Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front diff: open or limited slip?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Jul 18, 2001.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

When replacing my gears, I am planning on adding a Detroit locker to the rear. I was planning on leaving the front open. However, would I be better to install a limited slip in the front instead of leaving it open? This is a daily driver. Would doing so cause any on-road driving problems? Would it really help me much over the open diff off-road?

Brian

85 GMC Jimmy <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com</a>

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Daily driver - leave it open (or ARB if you are independantly wealthy).

Dave

If You Drink Don't Park, Accidents Cause People.

91 K5 - in the process of 4" lift with D60/14FF plus LOTS of extras. ETF August 1.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You can put anything you want in there, when the hubs are unlocked it doesn't make any difference. So during daily driving you won't notice any difference at all. Off-road you'll notice a big difference from having any sort of traction aiding device in the front. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I've had experience with the stock open diffs, factory and aftermarket limited slips/posi's, and true lockers. While the locker is the definite king off-road, a GOOD tight aftermarket LS (I say this because most factory posi's are not very good) or posi does make a difference. I ran front and rear posi's for a couple of years on some pretty tough trails and was able to compare my truck to similiar type vehicles with a single rear locker. Under most circumstances mine would do as good or better with 2 posi's as a truck with 1 locker, and there is no way a truck with open diffs could have kept up.

Overall in my opinion if you rated them on a scale from 1 to 10 in regards to off-road performance, with an open diff a 1 and the locker a 10, here's how they would be (again in my opinion).
    1 - open diff
    3 to 4 - most factory limited slips
    6 to 7 - aggressive aftermarket limited slip
    10 - locker

Remember that in a lot of situations, the locker has no advantage over a good limited slip. The benefits of a locker only become apparent when the torque bias of the limited slip is overcome, which in the case of the better limited slips can require one of the tires to be almost or completely off the ground.

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Double Detriots.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I'm voting with pcorssmit............dual Detroits. As Harry said, hubs unlocked, no effect. Off road, hubs locked..........TRACTION. I loved how they performed at the beach over 4th of July...........no problem turning, as long as i wasn't on the loud pedal. Bulletproof and cheaper than an ARB (Always Read Bout problems).

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com>www.blazzinor.alloffroad.com</a>