Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Diff Removal Help (ASAP)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Jul 8, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

I got the axle shafts out and unbolted those 2 things that hold the diff in place but i still cant get the differential out of the axle...is there something that i missed? i even took the internals out of the diff carrier so its just the diff carrier with the ring gear on it left in the axle. how do i get it out?

2. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

A case spreader or a pry bar, some rags and some elbow grease. It can be done this way, but it is not easy.

Krennen :D

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The carrier bearings are preloaded against the side of the housing so they can be tough to get out sometimes. Pry against the ring gear bolts with a couple of breaker bars.........just be careful that the carrier doesn't pop out and smash your foot. One trick is to work both sides out evenly, otherwise it can be a real pain.

4. PsychoticDeadGuy

ok, i will go try it. thanks guys

5. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I just did this and had the same problem. I used a couple of the pry bars that you use to get a tire off a rim. It took some pulling and prying but it finally came right out.
    One trick I got was put the covers(that go over the barrings on the carrier) back on but just use a couple threads of the bolt. This will catch the carrier so nothing comes flying out and gets chipped or broken.

6. PsychoticDeadGuy

ya, i got it out yesterday, and i am back on the road. when i had all the internals out of the diff i put the end of a 2 foot long ratchet in the carrier and pushed it out with my foot. it was pretty simple if you have the leverage you need. thanks everyone that has posted on all my threads to get me back on the road.