Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front diff skid plate use or lose?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by agrezy1, Feb 2, 2003.

1. agrezy1

agrezy1 Registered Member

my suburban has a metal skid plate/axle truss its kinda big and garfy has anyone had in negative experinces with these i wheel in sand and rock and this looks like a rock magnet with lots of snag points /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You can loose it yourself or the rocks will take it off for you. As long as you have a good diff cover and or armor on it then loose the truss. Sell the truss for money for a guard for the diff cover and gain back all the ground clearence the truss takes away.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

IMO, those are a poser piece.

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i think chvyhs has one on his sub. i dont remember. i don't like em personally.

5. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Ag,

I've seen numerous 10 bolts(front) fail on landing as in ToughTruck Competition normally on the long axle side of the pumpkin. So a truss for this application is almost a must. If you don'r jump your truck hard, yes, it's has some poser factor.

As far as average wheeling goes, I believe that a well designed diff cover skid will suit you a lot better. And I'd skip the diff skid as it lowers clearance and adds protection to a part of the diff that really needs no extra protection. The bottom of a diff is quite stout although a 14BFF does have a large lip on the bottom that tends to "hang" on things.

6. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

the rear axle trusses from MOO are pretty sweet, Dunno if you could do that on the front though..... Cuz they go over the top of the axle instead of below,

7. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

As stated before, if your truck ever leaves the ground, a truss is cheap insurance from axle snappage /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. If it is a go-rhino "truss" they are huge poser pieces/mud anchors and offer little help in the way of housing strength,. I stand by my conn ferr super skid trusses, they have saved my ass more times than I can count. The skid plate wraps up over about the bottom half of the covers and you only lose about 1/4'' of ground clearance from it, I have smashed it against some rocks and it bent butt I have never had it make contact with the cover. The trusses do tend to snag (and bend)on everything that they can so if you don't need them, ditch them and get a rock ring.

8. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

We just finished up a prototype 10 bolt front truss that goes on underneath but takes up no ground clearance at the differential. It utilizes a differential ring support that bolts on between the cover and the diff just like our rear trusses. The truss utilizes three tube clamps, one between the knuckle and spring on each side and a center clamp to prevent distortion in case of an impact to the truss rod in the middle. The truss bar is 1.25" cold rold steel. We currently have the front truss available for the 44 and 10 bolt for $200.00.

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I take it that it aint an over the top truss at this point then....

10. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

On the front ----no. I tried like h### to get one that would work but there are too many things that interfere. What works on one truck will not work on another.