Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Diff Smoking

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by brunowren, May 5, 2004.

1. brunowren

brunowren Registered Member

Need some help ! on my way to work today my truck just about stopped (felt a real drop in power) got the rest of the way to work (1mile) when got at looked around and my front diff was smoking like crazy . smoke coming out around the driveshaft seal, and the case was hotter than heck…

Any ideas .. I had a hard time getting it out of 4wd two days ago could It still be in 4wd and just got overheated from freeway driving.. maybe low fluid… and if I did blow it up would removing the front drive line stop the gears from moving? (if in 2wd they don’t anyway do they )

Truck is a 77 chevy k10 with a np203 t case with part time conv with warn hubs and a dana 44 front axle

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like the front diff is ruined, must have ran out of oil and be stuck in 4wd.

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I wonder if you ran it without oil /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Pop the cover and see what happened....

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Saw that happen in a Bronco once. We broke the welds in the rear diff out on the trail and lost all power in the rear, and the front apparently couln't handle the freeway trip home. I had no idea a diff could get that hot! That thing was toasted through and through.

6. brunowren

thanks for the info guys I went out and lunch and realized it was 4wheel hi and my shift linkage on the tcase had came off so when I thought i was in 2 I wasnt so for the last 2 days been driving 55-60 in 4wd.. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

got it to go into 2 and it works ok .. any chance that front diff could be just drained /refilled and all be well /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    any chance that front diff could be just drained /refilled and all be well

[/ QUOTE ]
    Doubt it. But there's only one way to find out...

8. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If the gear oil got that hot then it most likely lost it's effectiveness and I bet the gears in the front are fubar. Most likely need new gears and carrier and pinion bearings and a pinion seal and axle tube seals. I'm surpised your t-case didn't eat it since it was seeing all the binding of driving 4wd...

9. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Well, if his hubs were unlocked then there shouldn't be any binding....

10. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Yep he would of had to leave his hubs locked too. Or ran it out of oil. Otherwise your diff would just turn freely like if you had your hubs locked but the t-case was in N.

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

The diff wouldn't turn freely either since the t-case was in 4hi... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. brunowren

yea the hubs were unlocked. Now when I put it in 4WD it will hardley move /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif put it in 2WD and all is well... So how much is all that stuff gonna cost... that was mentioned above.. new gears / pinon etc etc I had 4.11's in there

13. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ah, I thought I read above that he couldn't get his hubs unlocked for some reason... Anyway, sounds like it ran at high speeds with not enough lube in there and caused the same result.

14. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

cost will depend on where you live, you should fill out your profile more so we can help. Oh bye the way Welcome to CK5. I have a 10 bolt front in CA i would give to you, but you still would need 4.11 R&P /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Jesse

15. brunowren

Thanks 81Jimmyslt I will fill out my profile. In just the one day I have been here I have noticed there are some pretty smart people around here that know there trucks! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    With this being my first 4wd and buying it used I am starting to realize I have some work to do..... Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif