Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Diff?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigjbear, Jul 7, 2000.

1. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Who thinks they have the hot set up for the front diff? I am asking because I am planing on new gears, 4.56 or maybe 4.11,(I'm leaning toward 4.56) and a Detroit for the rear. I haven't made my mind up for the front yet. Here is what I am considering: 1.) Detroit, for strenght and full lock up. 2.)Tru-Trac, stronger case than stock, no clutches, less axel breakage & better steering than a full locker(?),BUT not realy locked up. 3.)Stock case with a Lock Rite(not an EZ, don't get me started),full lock up, price, BUT, can I get a 4.56 gear for my 3.08 carrier?, how about a spacer? I want have it ready for the Dixie Run this fall. That means price does matter, so don't say ARB unless you want to split the cost.
    Those are the options, unless you can think of something else. Let me know what you are running and how you like it, how it does off road, ect.
    Here are my specs, so you can make informed comments: 10 bolt front, 12 bolt rear, and NP 205 'case. TIA Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC
    http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    You really didn't say what type of wheeling you gonena be doing. If your are going to be lifting one front tire in the air most of the time, then bite the axles, and lock it up, go Detroit and be done with it. If you have pretty good
    articulation up front and like the idear of a Limited-Slip, put an Eaton in.(Not the Eaton Gov-lock). Fyi all other
    Limited Slips for the 10 bolt front, are not rebuildable, i.e. parts are not available from the manufactures, and the gear drive unit will eventullay wear out, then throw it out, same for the Auburn Gear L/S.
    Good luck

3. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

O.k. Jim here is my setup. I have a Lock Right up front in my Dana 44 with 4.56 gears, I also have crossover steering so that I dont have a problem with the steering. I have Warn Premium hubs and Timken wheel bearings and seals. Stock axle shafts with Brute Force sealed bearings.

On the gears, nobody makes a 4.56 gear to fit the 3 series carrier. DO NOT PUT A SPACER ON. Spacers are trouble, there is a good reason nobody uses them. The open carrier for a Dana 44 brand new is only about 50 or 60 bucks, the 10 bolt cant be much more and I would think it would be the same. Call around and get the best price. When I had my gears done I went Full Detroit rear with a new open carrier up front and my existing Lock Right.

You saw how well mine did at Tellico so you be the judge.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

4. bigjbear

Depdog, I was leaning toward 4.10s, so I could use a fat gear on my 3.08 front carrier. Until we went to Tellico. After seeing you and Keith I started thinking about 4.56s and some type of traction diff in the front. I rode in Keith's Blazer last weekend and it didn't rev much higher than my Monte Carlo. What I didn't realize was how cheap the stock carrier was. Sound like the way to go, that way even if I can't come up with the cash for the front locker I can still make the trip.
    Executioner, you're right I forgot that part, sorry it was late when I wrote it. My springs flex good, not as good as Dep's, but good. Most of the time the tires are on the ground, that was why I was thinking about a L/S. Although, as slick as things get in the Southeast, ie clay & wet rocks, the L/S might not be enough.
    Thank you both for the advice. Anyone else want to chime in? I can't believe the two of you are the only ones who have a traction device the front axel. How about it guys? Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC

5. Depdog

Tell Keith to drop me an email, also tell him thanks for the Pics, I got them last week, I want to get a copy of his video. Did you get the copy that we made of ours?

We have got to go wheeling, anyplace close to you thats any good. I have a place close to me thats fun, you have to make it hard, its where I dumped the old girl on her side with Grim. We need to get together and get some good group photos and go wheeling, I have a bad wheeling jones.

Depdog

6. bigjbear

Hey Depdog is that where the pic on the "Projects" page was taken? Looks like a fun place. I got your video, it came out great, I made a copy for Keith and Grim as well. I have an extra copy of Keith's tape, but it is not the best dub. I can send it to you if if you don't mind a little fuzz at the bottom of the screen. Keith's computer is broke so I can't e-mail him untill he goes back to school. I do have his # though. He showed me a place close by but I haven't been able to find anyone to go with me yet. Unfortunatly my weekends are going to be ate up by work for the next few weeks so I can buy my new parts. Next time we need to drive down your way. I will probably end up with different ratios for a few weeks, so I won't be able to do much in the short term. I am going to try out this place Keith showed me before I start, though. It is so close to my house! I might just make a quick trip in and out one day before work. (I work at nite so I have all day)
    Anyway, let me know if you want a copy with the fuzz or if you would rather try to copy it again. It is viewable, just not 100%. Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC

7. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

Well, thinking about the same prob.
    Have SM 465, NP205, 10bolt front and 12bolt rear, 3.40 gears, looking for lockers.
    Think I will stay with the 3.40, they do fine, but I know on/off lockers from our german army trucks and still prefer to shift in the lock when I need it.
    Think I will watch out for ARBs front and rear.

Balou
    "Size DOES matter!!!", said the girl last night.
    http://www.balou.coloradok5.com

8. Depdog

Either way, I am sure that Rusty and Clint will want to copy it from me. Let me know where the new spot is and what you think of it, you, me, Keith and Grim might have to get together and do some more riding.

Oh and yes the pic on the Project page was taken at the place close to me. Its right off interstate 20 just before you get to Conyers.

Depdog