Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front differential

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazinNewbie, Oct 4, 2001.

1. BlazinNewbie

BlazinNewbie Registered Member

Hello all....

I am new to this site and just wanted some info. I recently purchased an 88 k5 with 350eng., throttlebody, 700r4. I bought this blazer as an everyday driver and have never taken it off-road or mudding. About a week after I purchased it, I was driving on a dirt road and thought I would put it in 4 wheel drive. I dropped it into 4H and took off. It started to groan as I came to a stop and also as I accelerated. I didn't like the sound and tried to shift back to 2H. It stuck in 4wheel drive (I know because I could feel the power from the front wheels turning.) even after my repeated attempts to manually shift it back. I didn't think it was a major problem until I started smelling the grease (ATF maybe?) burning. I hopped out and saw smoke or steam coming around the edges of the front diff. plate. There was also fluid dripping on the inside of my wheels. I shut it off and waited for it to cool down and somehow it shifted back to 2 wheel drive. It got me home. Okay...

Question #1. I assume I burnt my front gears...correct? (I have not had an opportunity to pull the plate yet)

Question #2. I have a father in law that owns a 76 k5 and wants to give whats left to me. (no body, no engine...everything else is there) Originally it had a 400 engine...I don't know what size tranny or gears it has. Is there any way I could use those parts to fix my blazer? I am married and have young children so price is DEFINATELY a concern. Only problem with this is he lives about 500 miles from me and wants me to pick up his blazer up quickly. (Like yesterday). Should I do this or would i be better off just looking for a new front diff....?

Question #3 How many parts of his 76 k5 is compatable with my 88?

Thanks in advance guys....I think this website rocks!

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Welcome aboard!! Definitely sounds like you've got some kind of gear/transfer case issue - you could swap the axles from the 76 directly in, with no problem. The 76 actually has a better set of axles than your 88, so I'd consider putting in the set front and rear. As for compatibility with everything else, there's really not much different, other than transmission, transfer case, and crossmembers.

Of the 5 toughest dogs in the neighborhood, my cat's ranked #3
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

First, Welcome aboard!
    If the front and rear end in his truck are in good shape and you want to use them, they are a direct bolt in except for the rear u-joint. You would need a conversion u-joint and I can't remember the number off the top of my head. You could use the trans and t-case, but you would lose overdrive and it would require some modifications. Hope this helps.

'85 K5 : Run it til it breaks, then fix it and go again!