Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Disc Brake Conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76K5, Jul 9, 2003.

1. 76K5

76K5 Registered Member

What's up everybody. I have got a drum brake 8 lug D44 out of a Ford in the front of my rig. If I want to convert to Disc brakes what parts do I need to get. Can I just find a 8 lug 44 at a junkyard and take the needed parts of it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Everything including the knuckels. For a D44 it would probably have been cheaper just to buy a disc front end.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Drum brake Ford means its a '75 or older D44. Is this D44 an open knuckle or closed knuckle design?

If you have the open knuckle, you can simply get some GM parts to convert it to disc brakes.

Get a 1st design (73-76) spindle and go get the standard Ford bearing hubs/rotors. You will need to find GM backing plates also because the older Ford D44's have 6 bolts holding the spindle to the knuckle and all of GM axles are like this. The '76 and newer Fords have 5 bolts holding the spindles. Use GM calipers, too.

All this info holds true if the front axle is a 1/2 ton F150. The 3/4 ton 8 lug is pretty much the same way as the 1/2 ton, too.

4. 76K5

76K5 Registered Member

Thanks for the info. It is a open knuckle design, 8 bolt lug pattern. I thought it has only 5 bolts holding the spindle on, but I might be incorrect, so if I came across an old 8 lug D44 with Disc Brakes, could I use those hubs? Thanks again for the help /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif