Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front disc plates

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by River, Jul 31, 2000.

1. River

River 1/2 ton status

A good day to you all.
    On my `89 k5 blazer i have a problem with the brakes they overheat.
    On the inside off the front disc brake their is a steel plate is it possible to remove this plate so their will be more air flow arround the disc wich will cool it down a litle ?
    Whats the function off the plate ?

Greetings from Amsterdam,

River `89, K5, TH700r4, "33, 2.73, NP241

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

The dust cover most likely will not cure your hot break problem, it might help but if they are getting HOT then there is something else wrong.
    Do your rotors have a 'blue' color to them? If they do then your caliper is sticking and needs to be replaced or rebuilt. If your whole hub and rotor assy. is getting hot then most likely its your wheelbearings, replace and regrease should do the trick if nothing else is wrong.
    Hope this helps, good luck.

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Asuming that your rotors have not been turned past spec.
    Are you getting fade where when they get hot you get a real soft peddle? If so you may need to change the brake fluid. Brake fluid abosorbs moisture. Once it get a lot of moisture the brake fluid will boil at a lower temperature. Use a high quality fluid. I belive it's castrol that puts out a DOT 3 fluid that exceeds DOT 4 standards. Thats what I run in my trucks as well as Ray Spestos Gold pads. This cure the problems I was having. Brake fluid has a life of about 2-4 years depending on the climate and other factors.
    If you running large tire then this may contribute to your problems. Also be sure the rear drums are properly adjusted. If they are out of adjustment it puts more strain on the front brakes. You may also want to look at sloted or cross drilled rotors if the problem still persists.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/