Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front drive knuckle/u-joint

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1971K5, Sep 5, 2000.

1. 1971K5

1971K5 Newbie

How hard is it to replace the front knuckle/u-joint in my 71 K5. They look original. It looks like to me I have to pull the axle and have them pressed off. Also where can I purchase new ones? I have a Haynes manual for my K5 but it does not say anything in there that I can find????? Please help. Shes my Daily driver and I need to get her fixed before ths snow flies!!!!

Ray
    71 K5
    69 Camaro

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ok, You will have to remove your:

Wheel/tire
    hubs
    wheel bearings/locknuts
    rotors
    bearing spindle

once these are removed, you can then pull the shaft out. Then you will have to remove the u-joint. If it is stock from '71, it may be worth the extra cash to take it somewhere and have them remove it. I know that if they are in there for a long period of time, they will be a pain in the arse to remove.

Once you do get it removed you can install or have someone install the new joint and then put everything back together.

it isn't that bad of a job.

One quick piece of advise is to get a slide hammer and a bearing spindle socket attachment fot the slide hammer. It really beats using this rather than using a hammer and a chisel to get the bearing spindle off!

If you have anymore questions feel free to e-mail me!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

It's real easy to get the axleshaft put so you can change the ujoint (knocking the spindle off if a pain, but a rubber mallot works fine.)
    As far as actually changing the ujoint itself, take it to someone and pay the $30 to have it done. I tried everything and couldn't get them out (they looked original)
    Much harder to do than driveshaft u-joints.
    -- Mike

Might as well repack your bearing and get your rotors turned while you're at it.