Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front drive shaft breakage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GruntHunter, Aug 31, 2005.

1. GruntHunter

GruntHunter 1/2 ton status

today I finally found out why my 4wd wouldn't engage. I thought we had it fixed by replacing the GM hubs with Warn Supreme manual hubs. I was out on my hunting lease Sat, in the middle of 6,000 acres all by myself and got stuck, big time. I went through a shallow water hole that has a nice hard sand bottom but on the return run, when I started up the other side the rear wheels started to slip so I stopped and put it in 4wd and discovered it was broke. All I got again was a LOT of noise. I just knew it had to be the transfer case because it sounded like a chain dragging over stripped gears.

To make a long story shout, we finally found out that the front drive shaft spline had stripped out. I had never heard of this happening. I'd have thought the 'U'-Joints would have snapped first. Is this something common?

2. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I know, seems like the joint would go first. Your not the first to have it happen.

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

yep its pretty common, the splines are only like a 1/8" tall and when they get worn the strip easy.