Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front drive shaft lengthening and balancing???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87GMCJimmy, Mar 3, 2003.

1. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Would you lengthen your front shaft yourself? You could do a crude balancing by hanging it from a string, kinda like balancing your ceiling fan (Or some other method I'm sure could be better). I figure the fastest I'd ever see in 4 wheel is 40-45 and that would be pretty rare. As long as the balancing was close I don't think you'd take out t-case or pinion bearings and seals.

Anyone done this? Any good reason not to try?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Old school balancing method: After placing the truck on some good safety stands put the truck in gear and run it up to 45 or 50 mph. Take a piece of chalk and hold it close to the driveshaft until it barely touches. Then put a hose clamp with the worm screw opposite the mark you made. It sounds stupid but it's gotta be better than hanging it next to a plumb line. Use your own discretion.

3. FWP

FWP CRS

Why would you want to balance a front, unless it was fulltime??? Don't waste the effort, IMHO...

4. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

That's what I was thinking. Why not. As long as it's close.(Straight)....

Dunno, I guess I'll try it and see.

Mike

5. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Hi Mike

I too am in the Phoenix area. This is not what you are asking but I'll tell you just to let you know.

I had a new one made a Dick's Driveline for $186 (I think) with an exchange. They lengthened it one inch for my 4 inch lift. I was told they were the cheapest around and did a good job so I had both front and rear done there.

I too would not worry about balancing it. You will never notice it unless you like driving it in 4Hi on our dry streets.

Good Luck