Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front drive shaft moves in 2hi

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by drchan, Apr 6, 2003.

1. drchan

drchan Registered Member

sorry for the question but had no other place to turn. i have a 72k5 manual(if that matters.) my question is, is the front drive shaft supposed to move even when in 2hi and not locked in. i've always been under the assumption that unless you were locked in and in 4hi or 4lo, the driveshaft is not supposed to move at all. I KNOW this is an simple question but i'm still new. Even if this a "everyone already knows this question< someone please reply /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

do you have full time hubs or are they locked in?

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Sounds like maybe a hub is locked or frozen.....

4. drchan

drchan Registered Member

both hubs seem to work fine. they are on free when i move them to lock everything seem to work ok. actually when i locked them in today and whent into 4hi. i could tell the 4wd was engaged. SO IF EVERYTHING IS WORKING PROPERLY, THE FRONT DRIVESHAFT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO MOVE IN 2HI FREE??????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Correct.My 71 front driveshaft does NOT rotate when in 2hi and hubs are unlocked(free).

6. drchan

drchan Registered Member

oh boy!! That does not sound good for me. what now??

7. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Check your hubs.Poss. one is binding,broken or not disengageing when turned to "free".
    Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Don't worry too much about it if everything else is working OK. I drove around without the transmission cover for a while, and sometimes the front shaft rotated in 2 hi, even though it wasn't connected to anything. I knew it wasn't because I could reach down and rotate it freely. It isn't engaged in 2 Hi, right?

I don't know why this is, but I suspect it's from the T-case as I also drove around with no cover and no front shaft and the front output yoke would turn slowly in 2 Hi - some sort of rotation brought on by the vibration or motion from within the T-case I suspect.

Now if your shaft is actually locked to either the axle or to the case, then you have a problem and should disregard everything I just said.

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

yeah I knew the some chain driven t cases did this but didnt know for sure the 205 did. If you have it in 2 hi and(assuming its out of the truck) were to turn the input, both front and rear will spin Its not a big deal though Im just not sure why it only does it sometimes.

10. drchan

drchan Registered Member

i took the boot off of the shifter so i can clearly see the front drive shaft. in reverse it doesn't move. in first it doesn't move but when i shift to second it starts to rotate slowly. now when i locked the hubs in and went to 4hi it started rotating quit a bit faster and i could actually tell i was engaged. if that front shaft is rotating in 2hi, albeit, slowly, will i start to mess up the drive train if i'm going up and down the highway??? how can i check to see if one of the hugs is not disengaging???? i'm sorry for the questions, i'm learning.

11. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The front shaft will turn some when the hubs are unlocked and in 2HI because the gear oil is thick and will cause it to spin. If you can spin driver shaft by hand don't worry about it.

12. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

I've heard the gear oil theory from others too. Seems that those who run ATF in their 205 dont have this "problem".

FWIW, my 205 does the same thing with 90W. Stars spinning slowly somewhere after 2nd gear. Dont think it's anything to worry about.

13. mudhog

put it in gear and climb underneath if you can turn the front drive-line in 2hi by hand then you are ok if you cant then you have a problem

14. drchan

drchan Registered Member

ok. can't check the driveshaft now because i'm at work. mudhog, you say put it in gear, i'm assuming 1st, 2hi, unlocked, and see if the drive shaft moves by hand if so then we don't have a problem. if the drive shaft doesn't move, i have a problem. seeing that i'm sooo optimistic, what kind of problem are we talking about. you guy's have been really helpful. thanks by the way, why would it be ok if it did rotate by hand if originally it was gesigned not to move at all in 2hi? just wondering

15. mudhog

[ QUOTE ]
    mudhog, you say put it in gear, i'm assuming 1st, 2hi, unlocked, and see if the drive shaft moves by hand if so then we don't have a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
    you are correct /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif if it spines by hand that means that you are in 2hi and both hubs are truly unlocked and the t-case has no problems /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif if it don't move it most likely means one of your hubs is not unlocking or a slim chance something could be wrong with the t-case

16. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

It's OK to rotate by hand because that means that it is freely spinning on the T-case end (not engaged) and on the axle end (not engaged).

One more test to do, just to be sure.

If you have an open differential, you'll still be able to spin the shaft by hand if only one of the hubs is unlocked, since it will spin the unlocked axleshaft. So:

1) check that it spins freely by hand with the hubs unlocked in 2 Hi - if it does then that means you should have no problems with driveline binding while driving.

2) lock both hubs (you may have to drive forward a bit to make sure they engage) and try it again, now you should not be able to turn it by hand in 2 Hi because the front axle keeps it from turning (unless you're a he-man and can drag the truck's rear tires across the pavement)

3) unlock one front hub (left or right), again you may have to drive forward a bit to make sure it disengages and try again. If you have an open diff you should be able to turn the shaft by hand, you may feel more resistance because now you've got resistance of the differential spinning, but should be able to turn the driveshaft by hand.

4) Now change sides (lock the hub you just tested and unlock the other side), make sure they've engaged/disengaged and try again. It should be the same as in 3) - this time the opposing axleshaft spins freely.

If in either 3) or 4) you can't turn the shaft by hand it means that the 'unlocked' hub hasn't disengaged properly. try rolling forwards and backwards to make sure it has had the opporunity to disengage and try again. if it still won't move it means that the hub that is 'unlocked' really isn't and you need to remedy that.

Was that clear?

I expect you'll have no problems and you just have the 'free rotation' as opposed to the driveshaft being driven by the front axle, but it's probably best to check both sides.

If you have a locker up front you can disregard most of the above.

17. drchan

drchan Registered Member

don't have a locker up front so all the mentioned info should apply. i'll try it when i get home. think i may need to print these replies so i can remember everything. you guys have been more than helpful!!!

18. drchan

drchan Registered Member

tried everything on the list and they all worked just as you guy's said. i feel alot better knowing everything is ok. thanks for all the info. appreciate it!

19. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    2) lock both hubs (you may have to drive forward a bit to make sure they engage) and try it again, now you should not be able to turn it by hand in 2 Hi because the front axle keeps it from turning (unless you're a he-man and can drag the truck's rear tires across the pavement)

[/ QUOTE ]

I can do that.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

John

20. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Glad it all worked. Sometimes piece of mind is the best thing to have.