Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Drive shaft play

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by foxman, Nov 12, 2001.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

My 90 K5 has a 2 piece front drive shaft. I'm assuming that this is normal, but what the heack do I know? When changing the oil i was noticing that I could move the assembly up and down where they meet. It looks like the same principal for the tailshaft/rear axle opperation. My questions are, Should there be play in the front drive shaft at all? and Would this caude a vibration in 2WD? In 4WD? Does the front driveshaft always spinn regardless of 2WD or $WD opperation?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The front driveshaft is similar to a rear in that it has a slip joint. The play you have is caused by wear in the splines. My front driveshaft has a similar problem but it has no effect on the truck in 2WD...
    It becomes noticeable if I'm driving on snow covered streets in 4WD at over 30 MPH in my truck. Also if I lock the front hubs but keep it in 2WD the front shaft will be spinning and it will vibrate especially at higher speeds. For low speed trail running I don't notice at all, but I'm waiting for the shaft to fail and one day it will.[​IMG]

So the short version is the slip joint is worn out...you'll need to have it repaired, and so will I.[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I can move the one in my 81 up and down about an inch.I think my play is excessive and I have another used shaft with no play to replace it.As bad as mine is I cant feel it in 4x .Unless your hubs are locked in 2x you would never feel it on the street even if it did vibrate.

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>