Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Drive Shaft Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Elevator Man, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Elevator Man

Elevator Man 1/2 ton status

I broke the spider gears in my 10 bolt, so when we made good use of the Warn 15000 we started back to the trailer with the front end pulling when we slung the front u-joint. It broke the ears off of the front driveshaft. I found a free driveshaft but it isn't a a "CV" will it work on my K5? I have 6"lift out front. Also I thought I would just pull the slip yolk apart and put the one on from the other drive shaft but I can't get it off, it slides out to the end then thats it. does anyone know how too get one of these apart? Thanks for the Help guys!!!!!

2. bronc3buster842001

bronc3buster842001 1/2 ton status

front driveshafts have a lock ring on the yoke u have to unscrew to get the yoke off sometimes they are hard to get off but a big pair of channel locks and a friend should get it

3. Elevator Man

I see where the the threads are on the yoke. do I need to lock the "c" part in a vise and spin the little part vise versa? thanks for the help I'm having a hard time getting these darn things apart!

4. bronc3buster842001

bronc3buster842001 1/2 ton status

yea i guess u could put the ''c'' part in a vise and take a pair a channel locks to the ring try heating it up some

5. Elevator Man

Thanx for the help guys, I finnaly got it apart. The lock ring was all beat up, thanks to my handy little blue-tip wrench it came right off.