Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front drive shaft slip joint

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Sep 15, 2000.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey Guys, quick question. My driveshaft moves up and down. I mean up and down towards the truck or the ground. The edge of the outside piece will bang the inside piece. I was told by a reliable source it is the slip joint on the shaft and the shaft would have to be replaced or it could be built up with weld and fixed. Anyone have a problem like this. And is the driveshaft unusable. I have it off my truck right now, but I just had an offer to go wheel tomorrow and really wanna put it back on and go. Any thoughts are appreciated as always.

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Sounds like your slip joint is indeed worn. You can have a new slip joint put in and reuse your present drive shaft tubes, pinions, and u-joints. Be careful wheeling and don't put too much torque on it. When the slip joint wears, the splines that slide back and forth get thinner and thinner. Your suspention could be extended and then the splines twist under power. When the splines twist, the slip joint locks in place. Then when you come off whatever that extended your suspension, the drive shaft won't compress and punches into your tranny case. NOT good.
    Or the splines could strip out and have not power to the front.

3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

If you get the whole thing replaced, consider a 1350 CV up front. My old 1310 CV flexes less than a 1350 CV (32 degrees).

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

4. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

It's easy to change the yoke on a 205 to a 1350 yoke.
    What about a front d44? I thought the nut on the yoke shouldn't be taken off and then put back on because it messes up pinion preload or something?
    -- Mike

6. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

No, the pinion has shims that sets the depth. The yoke just snugs the pinion against those shims. I asked a differential expert about this before I did mine.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

7. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.