Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front drive shaft spacer...huh?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75k5, Feb 23, 2004.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I have seen this mentioned a time or two, wel on the budget blazer I need to gat a new drive shaft or this spacer that you talk about. Who sells it?

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

-shawn.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Hey bubba, i have priced both options as i am in need of a longer front DS. I have found the spacer, which blots in between the TC and the driveshaft is about $65-$75 or so, i have also located a place, where Paul got his CV rear shaft that said they would legthen it for $95, This is the option i will be going with as i would imigine a lengthened driveshaft is better and safer then the spacer, and for the price difference, well it's not that much difference, for the better product. Ya know?

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I believe it is Superlift that manufactures the adapter

4. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

superlift makes them. when i got mine 2 years ago it was closer to $50. i got it because i had issues with the shaft contacting the TC crossmember when the pass side drooped. it is only about 1.5". how short is your front shaft? have you considered making a square shaft?

5. supersize75k5

I am up for making a shaft, I was just wondering on the price part. on my 75 I ended p just notching the cross member I did not know about the spacer though.

The shaft in question is for the 83, so I am up for a square shaft, any advice?

this is my budget blazer and light wheeling is all it will se untill the 75 is done..then I will use that for my fun /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

hmm, i wonder what the total cost is for making this "square" drive shaft?

7. supersize75k5

10 bucks in scrap from american metals, I may just show up on the 28th with one /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Just cut and sleeve it. It cost me a total of 9 bucks or something for 1ft of 1.75x .188 DOM. This fits perfectly with in the stock front driveshaft which is 2.00x.120 HREW. I did have to grind down the ridge in the HREW a little to get it to slide in. Just put the whole 1ft piece inside the stock drive shaft, adjust it to length, weld it up and be done with it. If you keep the 2 pieces of the stock shaft in the same orientation, it should be fairly well balance. But it's not like you really need it balanced very well up front anyway./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

My .02
    Mike

9. 87GMCJimmy

Ps. I did have to notch my cross member for CV clearance. Still much cheaper then taking it to a shop.

Mike

10. 87GMCJimmy

I think sleeving it would be better then redoing the entire tube with square. Now way to get it close to balanced. But then again there's that square tube bling factor. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

Mike

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Mike, so from what I read , since front diff gets fewer miles and no speed we can "make" or own front shafts? Mine looks ok except that it does hit exhaust pipe. This is to keep it from pulling apart at splines , right? Mine is same year as shawns, but we have different trannys , mine is 700r4, his is 4 speed manual. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

12. 87GMCJimmy

With front and rear lockers, if I'm going over 10-20mph I'm in 2wd. I can live with a little vibration then. But, when I did my front shaft, it seems to have litte or no vibration. all I did was add 1ft of tubing to it. It should still be very close to balanced. If you totally removed the shaft and replaced it with square tubing, I think it would be very hard to get anywhere close to balanced. But do you really need a balance shaft when crawling around in 4wd? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

It's up to you really. I did mine this way and haven't had any problems yet. I've only taken it out on 2 little test trips and then on Raw deal last weekend..... Which kicked a$$ might I add. I went the cheap route and it works fine for me. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

Mike

13. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

super lift, four wheel parts, $37.something (like $45 shipped)

14. supersize75k5

well since this is the budget blazer ..and I want to wheel it on the 28th..

be there and be square..will work for me /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

-shawn

15. 87GMCJimmy

Pic of front sleeved front driveshaft.

[​IMG]

Not the best pic but you can see where about 3inches of the 1ft of 1.75x1.88 dom is exposed.

Mike