Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Drive Shaft U-joint.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 86blazerk5, Jun 25, 2002.

1. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, this may be a hard question to anser without seeing the joint. But I'll ask anyway. I was in four wheel drive the other day and didnt notice any roughness or clunking or anything. but i just noticed today the u-joint that goes from the shaft to the diff in the front is off center. It is sticking out about a 1/2 on one side and in a half an inch on the other side. I tried to tap it witha hammer and it didnt move. It looks like what happened is that the inner c clips fell out and that allwoed it to move. The funnie thing is that the other two sides of the joint are outer clips. So I am a little confused. I dont know a whole lot about u-joints though. Do you guys recomend i put in a new joint. or can i just losen the bolts and put in in centered...??? Thanks,
    Ike

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

try loosening the bolts and tapping it back...if that doesnt work then just buy a new joint. or if it looks worn just get a new one

NITRO

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Errr.....Inner c-clips? Hmm......I don't have inner c-clips on my front u-joint....Just the outer snap ring things to hold into the driveline yoke...And the straps and bolts to hold it to the diferential yoke...You said that the oposite side has the snap rings? Is that side seated he way it should be? On the differential yoke there are 2 little "tits" that hold the u-joint centered in the yoke...If one or both of those broke, then it would allow the caps to squirt out of the hold down straps...I lost a u-joint once and when it went, it broke those little "tits"...Had to get a new yoke. Anyways, I guess I've never heard of a front driveline u-joint with inner c-clips..... /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

friends truck had that arrangement with a injection molded retainer replacement IIRC

5. 86blazerk5

Well, I am not sure about the inner snap rins becuase like i said, two side of it are outer, I was just saying it looks as if that could be what happened. Anyway, I will losen those nolts and see if I cant tap it back over. Then I will let you know how it goes. Thaqnks,
    Ike

6. 86blazerk5

You guys are great, I love this site. You were right onthe money. I just went out and fixed it. The yoke and the u-joint are both fine. The u-joint uses oter clips only on the two driveshaft caps, the two yoke caps are help in by the tits you were walking about. The last shop who had it out wasnt carefull when putting it back in and they had it wy inside one tit and on top the other. The good news is that it didnt break the tit. I was just able to losen all 4 bolts, tap it in center with a hammer, and tighten them up again. Thanks so much for your wisdom.
    Ike

7. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I'm glad it worked out good...Sometimes it doesn't...lol...Murphy's a bitch. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    One thing ya might want to check out is, If the caps were pulled far enuff off of the u-joint, one of the little needle bearings inside could have fallen over and be layin in the bottom of the cap or something...Hmmm, but you did say that everything bolted up andwent together fine....So I guess that rules the needle bearing thing out...lol. Anyways...It's always good to be carefull of those damn needle bearings...If one falls over ad lays in the bottom of the cap when your trying to tap or press the cap on, chances are you're gonna break that bearing and be screwed. Unless you have an old u-joint caparound with some needle bearings still in it...;)