Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front drive shaft u joints?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by schmuck, Feb 16, 2003.

1. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

well a few weeks ago i tore up the splines on my factory 85 front drive shaft, someone gave me a shaft out of an 75 i belive it is a spicer type shaft and lt looks alot beefier than the one my truck came with. now i finally got off my lazy ass and pulled the busted one out of the truck and sat down to try to figure out the best way to fix it. what i came up with is to take the cv joint and flang off my factory shaft and use the slip yoke and shaft off the saginaw now once they were apart i noticed that the joints on the cv joint is a different size so i was wondering if anyone knows the part number to adapt these 2 shafts together and is the u joint on the yoke going to fit my 10 bolt axle thanxs for any help ahead of time /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

i just did a search and did not come up with much im not sur if the shaft the guy gave me is saginaw or spicer its the non flange type if that helps, had a similar problem with my buddys 77 f100 me and him spent 4 hrs sitting on the floor at auto zone digging through u joints to find one with different sizes on the cross and caps just hoping someone can give me a size or part# to save me the time and aggrivation i dont have the rest of the shaft before the cast plate on the one the guy gave me so im stuck doing it this way and i dont have the money to get a shaft built /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I think that when I had my front rebuilt we put in 1310 spicer u-joints in.

Eric

4. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Bring the shaft and the old u-joints to a reliable shop.....O'Reilly, has served me best....they can quickly pull out a micrometer...that will give you the hybrid joint in 5 seconds or less.........that is if they have a clue.. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

5. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

thanks josh but there is no oriley for 50miles and the local drive shaft shop closed 3 years ago i guess im stuck going to a junkyard that builds shafts

6. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

ok i think i figured out what joint i need but i have one last question do i need the little ball in the cv joint because i think the only way i can get this to work is without it /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif!!!!!!!!! the u joint should center itsself right?

7. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

OK I JUST TALKED TO FRIEND OF MINE WHO USED TO BUILD DRIVE SHAFTS FOR A LIVING SO IM GOING TO LET EVERYBODY KNOW FOR FUTURE REFERENCE YOU NEED THE CENTERING BALL THERE IS NO POINT IN TRYING TO DO WHAT IM DOING AT HOME ITS IMPOSSIBLE JUST BRING THE SHAFTS IN AND HAVE THEM MADE