Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Drive shaft vs y pipe

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Feb 27, 2005.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ever since i put in my 4" lift on i notice that my front driveshaft hits my y pipe of the exhaust, i've noticed now there is a small smooth silver area around the front drive shaft from it rubbing on the pipe, it doesnt rub at all times but anytime i go off-road it does, is there any cheap fix to this other than a whole new header back system? If i leave it will it compromise the balance of the driveshaft and mess lots of stuff up? thanks Mike

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Mines been rubbing for a year now that I lifted my truck . I have been putting off replacing it for a bit now . Its mostly on pass droop I assume . I would say fix it , but have no room to talk until I fix mine ;)

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Take it to a exhuast shop and have them cut out the part that's hitting and then weld in a newly formed, (read: one that drops a bit lower) . Problem solved..

I've had to have it done a few times (on different trucks over the years)... usually never costs very much, but just to be sure, make sure you get a price first.

4. hd-10

hd-10 1/2 ton status

ya it cost me 40 bucks for them to do mine the only bad thing is how far that drop is i will be the one of the first things to go on a rocky trail.

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Hmmm.... Seems like the time to put "true" duals on.

6. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i wish i could get true duals.... someday!

7. hd-10

hd-10 1/2 ton status

so whats up with this TRUE duel exhaust ether you have duel or you don't right or am i missing somthing here? it's not to much to have some one run a straight pipe to a muffler and get away from that y pipe.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I bought an elbow from autozone for $3, cut out the section that was touching and welded the elbow in. It gave me about 1 inch of clearance. Cut out a smaller section than the elbow, fit it up and weld it in.

I did it as a fix until I have the money/time to put on duals, but it works fine and has for months including some fun crawling.

9. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

My Y-pipe split right thru the weld, no more clearance issue and gave me a reason to get dual exhaust, :D