Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Drive shaft with 4 inch lift??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87GMCJimmy, Dec 27, 2001.

1. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Hey everybody.... I'm in the middle of putting a 4 inch lift on my 87 Jimmy. The front is almost done and I'm just wating on the back ordered shackle flips from ORD for the rear. Can you run a stock lenght front drive shaft with 4 inches of lift? When I pulled mine off of the truck the slip joint only had an inch or so of travel and I couldn't pull it longer to reach to the front yoke. It looks pretty crappy and needs to be rebuilt but I don't want to have it rebuilt and then find out that I need a longer one. Maybe I'll just take a BFH to it and see how far I can get it to expand!!

Thanks
    Mike

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have the stock front shaft on mine with 4" lift. I also have a Dana 60 in the front but not sure how much of a difference that makes compared to a 10 bolt.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I've got a front 10 bolt with a 4" lift and I'm using the stock drive shaft and it's fine. Use your descresion. You might need to rebuild the drive shaft or something.

<font color=blue>Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks are still free.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

4. 87GMCJimmy

I'll get some penetrating oil and see if I can loosen up the slip joint. It probably hasn't moved its full range since it was new.

thanks again,

5. 87GMCJimmy

I'll get some penetrating oil and see if I can loosen up the slip joint. It probably hasn't moved its full range since it was new.

thanks again,

6. 87GMCJimmy

thanks again,

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I am running 4" lift and the ORD HD front shackles and my stock reaches (close but it reaches). but, when I did my lift, I found that it seems to vary by rig and by lift as to whether or not it will fit. You will just have to try it and see. If you don't plan to swap out the front axle anytime soon and are concerned about it, then get you a new one that is lnger, just to be safe and have that all powerful "peace of mind".

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

8. GONZO2

GONZO2 1/2 ton status

i got a 4" lift (without lowering tcase)and stock front drive shaft. my front drive shaft is realllly close to being fully extended though. i may just replace it with a longer one to prevent breakage when flexing. my rear one had to be replaced though.

<font color=blue>85 blazer</font color=blue> 4" lift, 35" pro comp mt, locked out back
    <font color=blue>88 blazer</font color=blue>mostly stock
    <font color=blue>99 30th ann. TA</font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>79 TA</font color=blue>

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a 700R4, which is longer than a TH 400, a 4" lift, and a driveshaft from a truck with a TH 400 even though I'm running a 700R4.

In other words, truck my shaft came from: TH 400, NP 208, stock height.

My truck: 700R4, NP 208, 4" lift.

Still fits. Half ass, but it fits.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

10. Mudfreak

Mudfreak 1/2 ton status

I had a stock front and rear with a 4" lift and ran it that way for a couple of years, wheelling it. Never had a prob, till once my rear shaft came out of the t-case and shoved it right into the pit I was blazin through. Got me high centered on it. It was then that I decided to have both shafts lenthened 1". They will work stock though, just don't get too wild! I also had lowered my t-case with spacers about an 1".

88 K5... work in progress

11. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

When I first bought my '88, I found the front shaaft had the saame problem. I used a torch and a 10 ton hydraulic press. Man, when it let go it grenaded. It was so loud it made everyone in the shop look. Needless to say I had a new Spicer one made up. You might wanna do the same.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

12. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

'73: D44 &amp; NP203 ~ 3" of lift, using the stock shaft.
    '80: 10B &amp; NP205 ~ 4.5" of lift, needed a longer shaft.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

13. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I just had delivered my t-case spacer from 4WPW's...
    It's 1 1/4 inch thick spacer that mount's to the tcase flange to help make the driveshaft fit...
    Good quality part also... with all the hardware..
    It's made by superlift.. PN: 4310
    And it's called a driveshaft spacer gm/dodge

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com