Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front drive shaft

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 69K5, Nov 25, 2001.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I have 69 K5 that is completely stock. It had one previous owner who was an olderman. I think the problem is just from old age and not abuse. My front drive shaft seems to have a lot of play. meaning I can reach in there and wobble it around. The u joints are good. This occurs where the two shafts connect. I think I need a new one. Do I need a new one or is there a bushing or bearing that came out. I don't remember there being any play in the front drive shaft of my Z-71 that I sold to buy this truck. I engaged the four wheel drive and didnt hear anything. If I do need a new one what kind of cost am I looking at ? thanks in advance

I think that maybe its the splines. its the center part where the two would come apart. its like the bigger end from the transfer case is two small to be in the shorter end which goes to the front axel. the shorter end has a retainer nut it appears. thanks again.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by 69K5 on 11/25/01 09:09 PM.</FONT></P>

2. frito

frito Registered Member

its sounds like your CV joint is busted and needs to be rebuilt

its the funny looking part with 2 U-Joints at the Transfer case end of the shaft, when i bought my 71 blazer the play in the CV joint would cause my driveshaft to hit my crossmemeber and make a knock sound in 4wd luckily i got 2 extra drive shafts with my truck =)
    your gonna have to take it out and bring it to a driveshaft shop that can rebuild it and i dont think its cheap, maybe others on this board will know how much it costs
    good luck!

3. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

That or the slip splines are worn out. If its the cv do away with it. I did, put 1350 joints at both ends, no problems yet and I have a 6" lift. Those dam cvs are trouble.

Drive it Like You Hate It!

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

New "stock" front driveshaft with 1310 CV joint and U joint will go for about $250.
    I got mine for 200 because I was having a rear driveshaft made at the same place.
    Figure it out... if you want to do a suspension lift, do it first before a new driveshaft to save money in the long run. So you won't have to spend money on driveshafts twice!

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the splines are worn out in the slip joint. Probably from being run dry and/or through salt water without being re-lubed immediately. You will need a replacement driveshaft. As Ryan B. said, they're relatively inexpensive. I got a stock length replacement for $210 at a local shop. There was nothing wrong with my original shaft, but it was cheaper to have them make a new shaft than it was for them to service all of the universal joints.

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

thanks for the help everyone. sounds like the next item i'll ask santa for.
    nathan