Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front drive shaft

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Brad79, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Brad79

Brad79 Registered Member

Well guys and gals...I just finished my 6" BDS lift. I used all springs, raised steering arm, and dropped my t-case. I was able to get my rear driveshaft to work just fine, but i am having some problems with the front. First off is the CV joint looking thing rubs the t-case crossmember. The second is that there doesn't seem to be much play before the CV joint starts to bind up. This was done on a 79 with a 350/th350 combo. Any suggestions on what to do? Also how do i go about adjusting the steering...since now it turns twice as far to the left as to the right?
    Thanks for the help
    Brad

2. Brad79

Brad79 Registered Member

Oh and one more question...can anyone enligthen me on which t-case I have. It's a 79 which is suppose to have a 203 right, but I thought all 203's were full time? Mine is not...i have lock outs, and the t-case can be put into 2 + 4 lo and high.
    Thanks again

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

For the steering, you probably need to adjust your drag link. That is the part that connects between your new raised steering arm and the pitman arm from the steering box. It has two ends with threads in the middle. Loosen the clamps holding the two ends tight to the threaded shaft and rotate the center thread part. The threads oppose each other say that as you turn it, it will either move both ends towards the center or away from it. An easy way to see what you need to do to it is to put the front on jack stands and watch what happens as someone else cranks the wheel back and forth. You should be able to see where it is being limited and how you need to adjust it.

For the front driveshaft, I would expect you will need to replace it with a longer model. I know that with a 4" lift, mine was just barely long enough to still make good contact via the CV splines. But, I don't know what to tell you about the crossmember contact. Maybe someone else around here can help. If not, talk to the people at the driveshaft place when you got to get a new one.

On the t-case, maybe you have a 205. I believe these are part-time and they are the only other one that came besides the 208/241 models. Mine has a marker on the back of it that states the model number as 208.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

4. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Brad,

When I put a 6" lift on my 86 Silverado I had to add 1" spacers between the frame and tranny crossmember. Then add a 1" spacer underneath the crossmember and the tranny/transfer case mount. My driveshaft rubbe just as you described.
    You may have to get under there and figure out what needs to be done, since you already lowered your transfer case.

The 1" spacers, mentioned above does not lower the transfer case it simply lowers the crossmember away from the frame. The transfer case stays at the stock location.

I hope this makes sense.

74 Blazer
    Zepplin
    Check out my Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976>http://community.webshots.com/user/zepplin1976</a>