Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Drive Shaft?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by i_4x4, Mar 21, 2002.

1. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

I currently am running 350/208 combo. W/ my tax return i'm planning on getting a Doubler. I need a new front shaft. My question. Is the length of my current set up pretty close to what the doubler will be?( meaning from flange to yoke.) I don't want to buy 2 front shafts. Hopefully this makes sense.
    Later Ed

2. schneggie

schneggie 1/2 ton status

It makes perfect sense. I just put the doubler in mmine and had to extend the front shaft about 6 inches. I would wait if possible

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Wait to measure it so you know for sure. I'm not sure why greg's ended up that much longer, he should have been more like 3-4" longer than before but who knows. I have a friend that lucked out and was able to use a stock driveshaft from a 700R4/208 truck. He had a TH350 with the GEN2 rotated up along with a 2" lift. It was handy. I've messed with the length of some of my fronts just by cutting them in two and sleeving them inside or outside with another tube and welding it back up. Works fine for slower speed use.

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I would suggest taking measurements. Stephen is probably correct on t he length issues. I had to have a front driveshaft for my 79 K10 one ton on 44s. I bought a hi angle 1350 shaft with the "rockcrawler slip". I paid just a little extra for an extra 4" of slip. With my current setup, I will have 3" of compression and 11" of extension with 2" of contact minimum. When I get a doubler is a year or so, I will let it extend about 4". That will net me 7" of compression, 7" of extension and 2" minimum spline contact. Let me know if you are unclear on what I am describing. My shaft came from driveline solutions. I talked to Oscar and he knew his S@#T.