Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front drive shaft

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 69K5, Aug 5, 2002.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

my frien was looking at my front drive shaft and he says the yolks bad. he said i could get a shop to redo it or find a good used one. just wanted everyones take on it. it will be winter in4 months or so and that means the rain and mud start in 2.

thanks

nathan

2. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

Just take it off and replace the parts that are damaged.

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

he said that the yolk would have to be cut off and a new onw welded on. the problem is that there is slack in the slip joint. it can move an inch or less in any direction. ther shouldnt be a problem with running wo a front should there?

i have a 350/th350/np205 going to a stock dana 44 gears unknown
    thanks

nathan

4. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

I've run without the front shaft for a couple years. If you don't 4 wheel any, you actually gain power from less recipicating mass (even with the wheels free wheeling).

Since I'm doing the whole restoration bit, I finally got to the front shaft which had a couple really bad u-joints. They're actually quite easy to work on, but without the shaft on the bench, it could be easy to mistake the actual damage (with all the grease and dirt that's likely).

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

the u joints at both ends are good, but the middle is sloppy so i will pull it out and see if it something i can fix or not. If i have to help someone while its out i have my winch. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

thanks

nathan

6. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

my front shaft also has that slop and its because i pulled it out from each other off a big bump i hitand caught a couple inches of air and pulled the slip yoke apart.i would replace the shaft as i still have to also.

7. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

chulishombre
    i went to the only p[lace around yesterday and he said at least 160.00. i said thankyou and walked out.

thanks for all the help

nathan

8. chulisohombre

ask around.you should be able to get a used one for a lot less dough.pm doctor4x4 and see what he has laying around.be sure to take measurements on what you need.he told me 40 dollars plus shipping i think.

9. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

thanks

10. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

So mine appears to have bent splines, it won't telescope out more then an inch. Maybe that's why the U-jounts were trashed so bad, or maybe the trashed ujoints caused enough slop that the splines twisted...

To fix is $220, anyone have a front shaft?

11. chulisohombre

pm doctor4x4 and see what he has.hes got a few in his garage.40 dollars plus shipping.

12. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

how do you take out a front driveshaft. i cant get anything on the back u joint bolts. front i can do no problem.

also does anybody have an exploded view of a driveshaft, and where can i find just a yolk.

thanks

nathan

13. chulisohombre

i havent taken mine out yet.need to replace mine also.splines badly stripped.mine just has 2 ubolts holing it in i think.1/4 inch drive socket should fit in there to get those off.or an open end wrench.on mine it has the crossmember in the way so it will be a tough one it looks like.

14. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

the crossmember was what was giving me trouble. my hands are too big, and my wifesw not strong enough. i was suprised she even tried though.

nathan

15. mkmiller

mkmiller 1/2 ton status

Give NARA a call on the yolk, I think they carry it.
    Matthew

16. chulisohombre

at least your wife is interested in your truck and helping you get it together.mine hates the beast.she always asks why i spend so much time and money on a piece of sh##.she just doesnt understand.maybe someday.hope you get it together.by the way,did you pm doctor4x4 to see what he could help you out with the driveshaft?? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

17. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

she doesnt pretend to understand but she thinks its better than me watching football. i havent talked to him yet. i havent had any spare cash so i decided to wait until i do.

thanks for the idea

nathan

18. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

The back one is hard to get off, I think part of the problem is that the bolts are a little too long. If you take the body off it's real easy to get to... /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif
    Actually if you can clean up the area, it helps because it's really tight in there.

BTW: I have contacted 4x4 doctor and he doesn't have the u-bolt type. I may have to get mine rebuilt.$$$

19. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

Here's what mine looks like from the top without the u-joints: [image]http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun29[/image] Front shaft

20. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I have a front shaft out of a 69 blazer that had a 465/205. It is frshly built from drive line service in Colorado Springs, Still has the stickers on it. I flipped the blazer. I will take 75 bucks plus shipping for it. Measure the length of the old one so I can measure this to make sure it is right. If you are interested email me.

John