Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front drive shaft

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87 mid canada k5, Oct 6, 2000.

1. 87 mid canada k5

87 mid canada k5 1/2 ton status

Has anyone changed the u-joints in their front shaft, I'm refering to the double cardan joint, just wondering if I should do it myself or take it in to a shop. I've never had a problem changing the regular joints, is this one any different?

MIDCAN k5 " DIG A HOLE!!!"

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I installed the 2 ujoints backwards and have to take the shaft off to get to the grease zerk.
    Other than that, it's a no-brainer.
    I bought a rebuild kit for my Cardan and just for the little ball thingy in the middle, it was $40 or $50 bucks at HiLo. It HAS to be cheaper somewhere else.
    -- Mike

3. 87 mid canada k5

Thanks I'll giver a go , did the backwards u-joint thing myself once ,sucks when that happens! Gotta get moving on it the snow started yesterday.

MIDCAN k5 " DIG A HOLE!!!"

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Snow already? Its 23 C right now and Sunny! Damn I hate the weather in this province! LOL

Rene

[​IMG]

5. 87 mid canada k5

Yep it's snowin' already and my sled is still in a whole lotta bits, actually everthing I own is in a lotta pieces , better get my a$$ in gear and rectumfy that problem (oooo that was bad!). Ahh beautiful B.C. gotta get back there again, lived on the base in Comox when I was a wee lad, and my bro was born in New Westminster, grrrreat province!

Denis -MIDCAN k5 " DIG A HOLE!!!"

6. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

What about the hard plastic stuff in there? I thought that thermoplastic was for alignment, and the thing had to
    be machined before a rebuild kit could be installed (Saginaw type CV). I have never rebuilt one....

SteveB

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Replaced all 7 U-joints in my Blazer a while ago, including the two in the CV-joint. I did it myself with the help of a friend. We only needed a lot of banging with a hammer & chisel (to remove old ones) and for installation we used a manual press (the ones you turn with your hand), since it was sunday and there were no shops open.

You'll need a lot of elbow grease if you do it this way. Those plastic "cup-holders" didn't bother at all. When installing the new ones, we just lubricated the outside of the new cups with engine oil so they would slide easier into the yoke.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

8. 87 mid canada k5

Thanks again for the advice, I figure since I don't really need the front shaft in to drive, I can try to do it myself , and if I run into any prob's it's not like the whole truck has to stay at the shop.

Denis -MIDCAN k5 " DIG A HOLE!!!"