Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Driveline angle with a 12" Lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mountainexplorer, Jul 12, 2002.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Front Driveline angle with a 12\" Lift

Am I going to need to have some sort of custom CV joint made for a front driveline with a 12" Lift? I have the 4spd/205, so I believe the front driveline is one of the shortest, meaning an extreme angle.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Re: Front Driveline angle with a 12\" Lift

You'll probably need to rotate the axle tubes in the housing so you can point the pinion up towards the transfer case. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Once you get up that high you get into a lot of custom work for everything to function correctly.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'd say a High Angle CV shaft from Jess, and the front axle is going to have to be cut and turned to keep the steering geometry anywhere near safe. </font color>

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I have 10" of lift with a 4spd/205. I put the 32 spline front output in my 205, this allowed me to put a single 1350 joint on each end of the shaft. I had to grind the crap out of both yokes on the t-case end (I even had to "touch up" the yoke nut and tip of the shaft!!). Everything is holding up fine with no breakage (yet) and I'm beating on it with a fairly stout BBC. After having a few cv's wear out REAL QUICK, due to the angle, I wouldn't go back.

Another thing to keep in mind, if you don't already have one the angle could get even worse if you upgrade to a D60. Hope this helps.

5. mountainexplorer

It is a Dana 60 under an '81 Crew cab. It already has a 6" lift and the angle looks bad enough. I'm sure I should go to crossover steering as well. There's a local shop here that sells the complete kits for about $350.

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

7. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

Aren't you running tall tires already?Going that high is going make that thing top heavy like hell.If your clearing the tires now I wouldn't go any higher.Keep the center of gravity low.I know it will look cool.But after you roll,it won't!Just my opinion.Brady

8. mountainexplorer

Well I have an '81 1-ton Crew Cab with a 6" Suspension and 3" Body lift. It has 40" tires on it now, but they rub when turned and articulating.

I have a chance of buying a truck with a 12" lift and 44" tires. I want to keep the lift and tires and put the Crew Cab together as a "mini version Monster Truck" to take the kids (and adults) around in for rides when the family comes up camping at my place, and to drive through the local parade.

But I still want to be able to lock it in 4 and take in through a mud pit or two. My designated mud runner will have 9 inches of lift and 39.5" Boggers. I just want the Crew Cab to look like the biggest truck around.

9. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

Jesse @ http://highangledriveline.com has a fix specificly for this problem. Give him a call at 530-877-2875

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My friend has his turned up like crazy so his caster is screwed but it works and with a u joint shaft (homemade) and still front to back steering he claims no issues.

11. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

Im running my stock drive line with 15 inch front springs with a high pinion 44 and x-over sterring.

12. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

whats the cost to have an axle cut and turned? and how do you keep the pinion lubricated enought cause now its sitting higher

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

it is splash lubed same as before