Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front driveline binding

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chevydude, Jan 1, 2001.

1. chevydude

chevydude Registered Member

hello everyone
    ive been reading this forum for awhile now but due to some computer problem (i think it was my computer ignorance) i havent been able to join in
    anyway,im building a 79 blazer with a 6 inch lift and i was wondering if it is normal to have to do some grinding on the cv joint to keep from binding

marcus

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Shouldn't have to do any grinding on the CV joint itself. Two questions: Did you drop the transfer case and are the shims that change the front diff angle for the new lift in place between the springs and the axle pad? (Some front lifts have the axle relocated to accomidate the pinion angle for the lift) I guess the second question should be did you put new springs in or did you use blocks to obtain the lift? Grinding on the CV will weaken the CV and cause it to be out of balance.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Wheels on 01/01/01 07:46 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

3. I wouldn't think so with a 6" lift. I run a 12" lift with an extended front shaft and to make it work without turning my pinion up I ground everything down and have no problems unless I really flex(yeah right with 12" springs) !! With 6" lift you should be using a custom front shaft at least, maybe a spacer would even work. Not sure on a 6", but I am going down to a 6" lift so I can tell you soon probably what will work.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

4. chevydude

chevydude Registered Member

yes i did install new springs but they did not come with any shims i havent lowered my transfer case yet,i thought i would wait and see if i needed to
    this truck is not on the road yet in fact i havent even installed the front drive line yet so i dont know for sure it will bind but i had to do some light grinding on the cv joint(just the little nubs that restrict angle) on my other lifted truck(79 3/4 ton chev,6inch springs also) but that was a used lift that i took out of a blazer it had shims when i got it but i removed them because the steering wheel would not return to center when you were driving thats when i broke out the grinder to date i have not broken any front cv joints but have smoked a clutch and also exploded one hub (i do not endorse the use of selectro locking hubs) so i dont believe i have weakend the cv to badly but i do get some front driveline vibration and would like to improve the angle in that truck and eliminate any problems in the blazer before they start
    thanx for any input you can offer
    mancus

marcus

5. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

that type of c/v is called 3r style - not real flexy- and grinding is weak- i have a 1350 c/v that will bolt to it handle the horses and angle with a slight mod- give me a ring - 530-872-5725 jesse