Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Driveline Question?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kombi59, Dec 20, 2003.

1. kombi59

kombi59 1/2 ton status

Hey Guys, Here's one for you. I have a 6" procomp lift on my 84 k5 the transfer case cross member has the sleeve type spacers on it. the front axle has an angle wedge under the springs, the driveshaft is at a good angle. when in 4 wheel drive the front drive line u-jount Knuckle rubs the cross member when the axle drops. just very slightly. only enough to keep off the dirt. but it sounds horrible. any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif thanks in advance, Chad. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

With that kind of suspension lift, you probably want to get a spacer machined to fit between the flange of the constant velocity joint and the output shaft flange. About a 1/2" to 3/4" thick. Then get some longer grade 8 bolts. By doing this you push the whole assembly forward, which should free up some clearance in there. Also would put a little more contact groove to groove in your front shaft slip joint. Another probably cheaper route is to put a cable from the frame to go around the axle, to limit upward spring recoil. You might be able to work the crossmember a little with a grinder, just don't take off too much as to weaken it, otherwise you will have to reinforce it by welding some metal to the bottom.

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Superlift makes a driveshaft spacer for what your looking for.
    Superlift #4310
    Thats for the 208 front output. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you have your crossmember off, clearance grind it. I did mine a little bit when I had it off a few years ago. Between clearancing the shaft and the crossmember, no more rubbing issues since then!

5. kombi59

kombi59 1/2 ton status

Thanks Guys, I'll try the spacer. Chad. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif