Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Drives side speaker Gone???

Discussion in 'Audio' started by WakeBoard&4X4er, Mar 19, 2003.

1. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I was driving home yesterday and the FR speaker stopped working. i have not had time to check it out but what do you think?
    Stock Radio, Aftermarket Alpine speakers under the dash. Turned the Fade to the Front and Bal the the Right and Vol up high and go some BADD Sounds from that side. I do not know if is the Radio or the speaker. I am think that it might one if these things, Conection pulled off (truck is a trail and DD), Speaker is bad, or Channel is going on that side.

what is the easyest way to get to that speaker?? I know the ones in the Dash are a BI#CH!!!

thanks!

2. VA-NC-SC

VA-NC-SC Registered Member

Could very well be that the speaker is busted, but it sounds more like the wires to the speaker are shorting out to me, did you re-wire them? You might want to try taking the speaker out and testing it on a home-stereo or something to see how it sounds.. If it sounds like it did before, then it is going to either be the wiring is shorted or the head unit is messed up. Try running a new wire for it and see what happens, if that doesnt fix it, then head unit is bad... thats all I can think of.

Also, like you said, could be that the plug is coming out of the back of the head unit (or speakers for that matter) be sure everything is in tight then do what I said above, if it still doesnt work. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

Well I just replaced all my factory speakers in my 90 so here's the steps. The dash has to come off. First remove the instrument panel bezel. About 8 screws I think. Pull it off and the lower collar piece under the column (4 screws). You may have to tug a little to pull the air vent loose that is above the radio. Hint, put your tranny selector into low gear for room to pull it off. Now undo the bolts on the bottom of the dash on the long passenger side. I think it was 4. There is a phillips screw on the passenger side, you will have to open the door to get it out. Now pull up slightly and back towards you to remove the dash. It's best to do this from the passenger side as you will have to guide the far right air vent and hose for it out through the opening above the glove box. Putting the dash back on is tricky, a friend would be a big help but it is doable by yourself. You will have to push back and down on the passenger side and reach back behind to guide the air vent and hose back in. It may take a few tries but once in the dash will slide right back on.

4. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

You don't have to guide the hose to the vent while you're reinstalling the dash. If you remove or just flip down (past normal, it'll bend) the glove box, you can put the hose on the vent after you install the dash.

5. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

You are right, the hose is flexible. I had problems with the vent housing itself which is rigid and doesn't flex. I should have been clearer.