Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front driveshaft centering ball seal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rick88blaze, Jan 12, 2004.

1. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

does anybody have a part # for the seal, or a kit to replace the centering ball, bearings and seal in a stock front spicer driveshaft? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I can't find it anywhere.

Rick

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    does anybody have a part # for the seal, or a kit to replace the centering ball, bearings and seal in a stock front spicer driveshaft? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I can't find it anywhere.

Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of vehicle is this for? All of my trucks have had saginaw front driveshafts. Are you sure yours is a spicer style? I don't think that was available in our trucks for many years at all.

3. rick88blaze

It's out of my '88. It's got spicer stamped on it. I figured it was a spicer. I'll go double check, and try to get some pics.

Rick

here are the pics:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

That part that bolts to the flange on the T-case didn't have any legible stampings on it.

Rick

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm thinking it could be Spicer in brand name but Saginaw style. My truck uses 2-3011 joints up front, which are Saginaw S44 joints for the CV. Mine has a Spicer 1310 up front, Neapco part number 1-0153. Yours could be different, though.

5. rick88blaze

I've got the ujoint #'s, I am looking for the centering ball with bearings, rubber boot, and seal that go inside of the H-block. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I took it apart tonight to replace the ujoints in it. I noticed that the bearings and seal were kind of worn, so I want to replace them before I put the assembly back together. If I can't find them by tomorrow when I go get the right ujoints (stupid Autozone employee's), I'll just regrease what I have and go with it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rick

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My main point is that you'll need to know how to identify your CV joint to get the correct parts. Even if I gave you the Neapco part numbers for the ball and seal kits, they're most likely not going to be available through AZ.

I am willing to bet your front shaft will use the same joints that my truck has, the 2-3011 x 2 and the 1-0153 x 1.

Looks like 7-0088 gets you a complete center yoke and should come with the parts you're looking for, but that's the whole centering yoke.

If you have a Spicer style CV, you can get the ball and seals by themselves.

Let me know what part number U joints fit into your CV joint and I can try to dicipher this book.

7. rick88blaze

1-0153 is the part # for the ujoints that go into the joint. I'm going to call a couple of local driveline shops here tomorrow to see if they have what I'm looking for. Let me know what kind of information you can find too. I'll post up what I find tomorrow. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rick

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That is a Spicer 1310 then. Appears that you'll have to measure the ball to get the correct replacement. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. rick88blaze

I called a shop this morning, and they gave me this Spicer part #: 211007 . It's about $35 here. It includes a new ball with the needle bearings, ball seat, and seal. It's a little more than I thought it would be. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rick

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think he's incorrect. The kit that number crosses to doesn't include the ball. I crossed that number to a Neapco 2-9201 which is a cv repair kit without a ball.

2-9301 or Spicer 211008X will get you the kit you're looking for WITH the ball.

11. rick88blaze

This was all over the phone, but they said they pulled it off the shelf to see what it had. They said their kit had the ball in it. Just so you know, this shop carries things in it for driveshafts and axles that I can't find anywhere else in town. They might special order their kit or something. Maybe one of these days I'll try to run up there and check it out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rick

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If it does include the ball, great.

In that case, all I can tell ya then is that my catalog lied to me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. rick88blaze

Your catalog might not be lying to you. Like I said, this shop has the biggest, and I mean that, available parts selection of any other shop here in Las Vegas. So, they very well could be special ordering the kit with the ball, that or they are adding the ball to the kit when they get it in from Spicer. That or they gave me the wrong part #.

The person that I talked to I would trust to do any of my axle or driveline work any day of the week. (If I can afford them /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif, they are a little pricey) On top of that, that person is a woman, yes, it surprised the hell out of me too. Almost every time I call them with a question, the person that answers the phone refers me to her.

One more thing, at least 90% of the places I have called to ask about drivetrain stuff, that's not an actual driveline shop, refers me to this place. I even had one driveline shop tell me to call this place with a question I had one time. The place I call with these questions all the time is Dan's Driveline here in Las Vegas. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rick

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah, could be wrong part number. I'm still not ruling out my book lying to me though, I've had it happen before.

15. rick88blaze

I'm not too worried about it right now. I just greased up what I have. When I get back from Korea next year I plan on doing quite a few upgrades to my K5. Hopefully 2 of those upgrades will be new driveshafts from High Angle Driveline!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'm just trying to make sure that all of the maintenance is up to date on my Blazer before I leave in about 3 weeks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That's also why I swapped my 10 bolts out for the D44/12 bolt combo. After I had the 10 bolts out, I was stripping apart my rear 10 bolt and the carrier bearings had almost a 1/4" of play in them, and when I took the bearing caps off, the whole damn carrier just fell out! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rick

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yuck, Korea.

I'm hoping to get at least one HAD shaft for mine. I want a 1 ton CV with a 1350 at the front...I'm not that picky. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I just want my truck to use the same joint from front to rear.