Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front driveshaft clearance help !!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ColAdo82K5, Nov 27, 2000.

1. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    My driveshaft rubs my transmission crossmember !! I just replaced my tranny mounts- it helped lots but not enough. Any other reasons why it would make a grinding/scraping sound. The C/V joint is probably bad from riding on top of the crossmember for awhile- so, would getting a new joint help the angle ? All i have is a 2.5 inch spring lift- do i need to add pinion blocks ? any thoughts are appreciated.
    Blake

2. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

hey,
    How does the transfer case mount to the body ? You guys often speak of flipping the spacers to improve rear angles. Could these mounts be bad/loose causing the tranfer case to hang lower ? Please help, I know you guys know everything !!
    Blake

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Well, with taller lifts (like 6") the front diveshaft WILL bind and/or hit the crossmember. With a 2.5" lift this should not happen - not usre why it is happening to you.
    You can clearance the crossmember where the driveshaft hits it - Slightly decreases the strength of the corssmember, but not by much.
    You need to look at the driveshaft with it turning slowly to see what is happening. You could put the truck up on four jackstands to and have someone ease onto the gas. See if the CV is binding, or if it's hitting the crossmember.
    ANother way is to remove the rear driveshaft, unlock your hubs, and put in in 4wd. Either way, you need to look to see what it's doing.
    If your CV is binding, it needs to be clearance with a die grinder.
    Hope this helps.
    -- Mike

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Have you installed the Shims in the front? My 2.5 inch springs came with a 2.5 deg shim set, the fat part should be foward and that will raise the pinion making the driveshaft angle less. I asume this is at full droop that your having the problem. Is the case dropped (spacers between the cross memeber and the frame)? that will actully cause more problems. The driveline sits at an angle and dropping the case increases the angle at the CV causing the front out put to point up at more of an angle. How are your motor mounts? You sure the crossmember is in correct? I know on mine it can be turned 180 deg and still bolt in.
    There is a spacer available for the the shaft that fits between the flange on the case and the CV. That moves the CV foward. On 4+ inch lifts this is often needed on the 208 but on a 2.5 you may run into a problem that the slip shaft bottoms out. It would require the shaft to be shortend if that happens.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/