Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Driveshaft Clearance

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Leadfoot, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

For those of you running a 700r4 (and especially those with a swapped in NP205 t-case, which is the combo I have), how much lift do you have and what is the clearance between the front driveshaft and the tranny pan. The reason I ask is I have a 4" lift and noticed that my pan was leaking slightly. Upon furthur inspection I noticed the driveshaft (the CV portion) was hitting the pan under slight compression. Any one else have this issue?
    TIA
    Chris

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I took my pan and with a body hammer and backing dolly reshaped the right rear portion to clear the CV joint. There is about 1/4" clearance between the CV and pan now. Haven't hit it yet. Looking for another pan to modify by cutting this area out and weldong in another section. Can take pic's and send them to you if you want.
    Wheels
    Also running a 4" lift.
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Wheels on 12/04/01 09:52 AM.</FONT></P>

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for the reply.
    I was planning on doing something similar, but wasn't sure if the valve body or any other internals were in the way (I don't remember from dropping the pan last time). I am dropping the pan this winter and will cut a section out and weld a new one in for clearance. I was just going to persuade it a little first (without removing the pan) but just wanted to make sure there was nothing directly behind it. Pics would be cool Thanks.

P.S. Now I now why Stephen went with the driver's side drop on his 700/205 combo (more room).

Anybody know why the other t-cases work without interferance from the d-shaft. Do they drop furthur down?

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

4. 4xmac

4xmac Registered Member

Just like Wheels said, you will need to push in that corner of the trany pan. If you are running a 1350 cv you will need all the room you can get. Good luck

MAC