Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front driveshaft cv ball joint ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5DRAGER, Nov 3, 2003.

1. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Anyone ever break or tear up the ball joint that is in the cv of there front drive shaft? I have developed a terrible clicking noise in 4wd and sounds like its coming from the driveshaft. I have checked to make sure that it is not hitting anything and that it does it in 4wd only and only under a load. Both the u-joints seem to be in good shape, some one suggested to look at the ball joint in the cv. Any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

usally the clicking is the death call of a C.V.What happens is that the rubber boot gets torn and moisture does the rest..............

3. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Rubber boot? My front driveshaft on my 91 Blazer does not have a rubber boot. Are you and me talking about the same part?

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

What trans and transfer case are you running Brent? 465/205 IIRC... did you have a hi-angle drive shaft made? If not, it might be your CV binding too. Mine clicks as well, and its CV is in fine condition. Mine needs to be clearanced... Or I need to break down and get a high angle front shaft from Jesse. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

-Dan

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My Mistake.Though your were talking about IFS

6. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

I have a 700r4 and a 241 with a lengthened stock shaft. Waiting on the High angle one until the doubler goes in this winter. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks for the tip on the cv binding I'll look into it. Trying to workout a few little bugs before this weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Thanks for trying to help Mudjunkie, I kinda thought so but didn't want to come off the wrong way.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I clearanced mine, no clicking. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

One more thing to throw in the mix. My truck has drive flanges, so the the axles shafts and drive shaft spins in 2wd. if it was the actuall metal part of the cv binding wouldn't it also do it in 2wd since the driveshaft is still turning? Or does your guys only do it under a load, like mine does?

10. KRAZIE87K5

I understand. I too clearanced mine. Wait until your 60 is under there... it shortens the shaft FURTHER and makes the anges worse.

-Dan

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My shaft is too short as is...oh, you mean the additional lift from the '60? I've got more clearance than you probably think anyway. Remember, my 6" springs are more like 5". I took the stops completely off the CV though. I really don't think I'm going to have issues, but if I do, I'll have a shaft made. Maybe without a CV. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've seen 8" lifts done on automatic trucks with stock CVs though.

[ QUOTE ]
    Or does your guys only do it under a load, like mine does?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember if mine did it all the time because I never really ran in 2wd with the hubs locked, but I think it did do it all the time.

I had to clearance my CV just to get mine to go on!!

12. KRAZIE87K5

[ QUOTE ]
    I've seen 8" lifts done on automatic trucks with stock CVs though.

[/ QUOTE ]

KEY WORD: AUTO TRANNY. They are longer, and allow for more length in the front shaft.

The 60's pinion is farther back than the 44... you'll see. Thats ok though... you keep right on thinking that you'll have all the room you need. Now move that pinion back an inch or two, and figure what that will do to your angles.

-Dan

13. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyone ever break or tear up the ball joint that is in the cv of there front drive shaft?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep...since I have the dreded 350/205 combo with a d60...
    I have some serious angle issues...so I'm constantly working on the c/v's..

I had a ball spring and bushing...
    blow out of the flange and it just sat against a u-joint...
    making a clicking noise..

I'd pull the shaft and check to see if the c/v is still tight.. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I've seen 8" lifts done on automatic trucks with stock CVs though.

[/ QUOTE ]

KEY WORD: AUTO TRANNY. They are longer, and allow for more length in the front shaft.

The 60's pinion is farther back than the 44... you'll see. Thats ok though... you keep right on thinking that you'll have all the room you need. Now move that pinion back an inch or two, and figure what that will do to your angles.

-Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I am aware auto tranny shafts are longer. I used to have an automatic too. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I think 4-5" is feasable with a stock CV properly clearanced with a 4 speed and 205 of 8"+ can be done with auto trucks. I've been wrong before though, so here we go again.

I guess we'll see with my front shaft. I'm really hoping it will work out. You may very well be right though. If the shaft ends up with some extra length I could always move the axle forward. Trying it is going to be the only way to see. I have been figuring I'm going to need a front shaft eventually, but for now, mine has three brand new joints in it and is clearanced and it's working. We'll see how it works. If I break it, oh well, I'll try something else. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif