Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front driveshaft cv on 208

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the excuse, Feb 4, 2004.

1. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

how do i get the u joints out. i drilled out the plastic plug things and i have it in the vice. i cant push them out. do all cvs hav that little ball thing in them? just wondering because i want to see if its possible to put the front cv on my rear driveshaft. i need the extra length it gives. it looks like the u joints in the cv are the same size as the ones in me rear driveshaft already.

2. the excuse

come on someone has to know this. how do i get the u joints out?

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You need to heat them and melt the plastic out of them. Drilling that little hole out isn't enough.

4. the excuse

i just tried that with no sucess. i squezed it in the vice and nothing. then i had it in the vice and beat on the joint with a hammer. still noting. im prety sure there are no inner snap rings and the plastic is out. is there something im missing?

5. the excuse

would i be possible to cut the u joint so instead of an x it would look like an l. then i could pund each ear out one at a time? it is hardened steel or can a hacksaw cut it?

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You could try a hacksaw, but it won't work very well. Ujoint metal is pretty hard. I had to cut on out of an axleshaft last week. An angle grinder worked pretty well with a cutting wheel, but the sawzall didn't work so well. So a hacksaw would downright suck. Personally I would find a place with a press or take it to a driveshaft shop.

Harley

7. the excuse

i got it covered in penetrating oil right now gone try and beat on it with a hammer some more. i dont really care a bout the driveshaft its no good anyway i just need the cv part of it.

8. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

heat, heat, heat... if you did not put a small torch on the ends of the caps, you still have plastic inside holding the joint in place. put a torch to each of the the cap ends until you see the plastic drip out... than it will bang right out...

9. the excuse

ok ill try that hope the penetrating oil dosnt catch on fire.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If you don't melt that plastic out you're going to bend the ears on the driveshaft before that u joint comes out.

11. the excuse

ok i finally got it and put it on a stock rear drivewshaft i havent installed it yet. the cv adds 3 inches so the stock 30 inch driveshaft with the 3 inch cv should work. the only problem im seeing is there is no little ball rotation thing in the cv i made. im worried it might do something like this ---\________ where the \ is the cv and the _ is the drivehaft. if this happended i think vibrations will be very bad.

12. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

did you get new ujoint to fit in the cv? is there a grove for the retaining ring ?????? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif