Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front driveshaft flexin question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Thumper, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I kinda toasted my front driveshaft yesterday wheeling. It stripped the splines in the slip yoke. I have to either get a new rebuilt one, get this one built, or some other option. For the guys who flex... did you extend your driveshaft? By how much? What kind of splines do you have in the slip yoke to prevent them from stripping again? My rig has a 4" suspension lift, but my plans include sway bar disc., the RS9012 shocks with the shock towers, in order to get her to flex out. Do I need to extend the shaft for that?

thanks
    mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

2. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Cmon... nobody knows? Are you all running stock length front driveshafts?

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]

3. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

Ya, i had to get mine built by Front Range Driveline, I got what they call a "rockcrawler" dirve shaft built, it has 12" of travel on it, it's hard to explain exactly what they did but, it looks like they reversed the splines so it slips into the long tube instead of the short yolk.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco>www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco</a>

" Wider IS Better!!!"

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

The reason you probably stripped the splines is they were worn out. For some reason the front will wear way faster than the rear. With a 4" lift you should be able to just get by with a long slip yoke. I just had mine done and it is about 2" long splines than the stock one. My truck flex's really well on a 5" lift and it works just fine for me. I think it was $165 for the new splined end and slip yoke installed.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

5. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I have been running the 4" lift for quite a while now, I just was wondering since I am going to spend the bucks for the new shaft, that if it needs to be lengthened for this new flex thing, then I would do it now. The shaft I was running has been perfect length for me, but the front will be flexxin way more. Any other opinions?
    Thanks for the replies so far.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a 700R4/NP 208 combo, and I have a front shaft from a TH 400/NP 208 combo. Did I swap to a shorter or longer shaft? I think it's shorter, but I want to know for sure.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles