Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Driveshaft has no give

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rivermtnman, May 20, 2006.

1. rivermtnman

rivermtnman 1/2 ton status

Trying to get the blazer ready for Harlan, installed 4" lift, and realized the front driveshaft has seized up in the splines. Never seen this before, so I put the heat on it and try to beat it off, with no luck. I've not had the blazer for the past 2 years, and got it back with the rear end out of it. I cant imagine why it wont move, but the more I think about it, could the splines be twisted? Any ideas?

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

could be twisted or could be rusted together. sounds like u need a new shaft

3. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

:haha: :haha: :haha:

sorry couldnt resest. Probly just old grease and dirt.wd 40 or carb cleaner :dunno:

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Dont beat off.......
    Gotta agree with delory. Old grease and dirt will make your front shaft tighter than an 80 year old virgin. Pull your shaft, lube it up with some nut buster. Squirt as much as you can down the hole in the middle of the shaft and all over your shaft/splines. Work it Hard...... in and out........ and in and out. Squirt, squirt, squirt.... in and out.. in and out. Once you get the rythym itl cum apart like magik... Your splines aint twisted.... just all sized up from lack of use. Work it out boy........

5. rivermtnman

ROFLMAO :haha: , I knew I shouldn't have wrote it like that but was the only way to describe. I sprayed it with WD-40 a couple of days before I put the torch to it. I'll keep tryin... Thanks all. Hope to see some of y'all in Harlan. If I cant get this Blazer goin, I'll bring the old CUCV.

6. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

7. dleroy43

are we still talking about driveshafts here?? :haha: :haha: :haha:

8. rivermtnman

OK back to the subject... I got the driveshaft wrapped with a chain on both ends, with my hi lift between the chain, and we just bent the handle on the hi lift jack, while beating on the yoke and it moved about 1" before I decided not to ruin the handle. I was going to try a tug-o-war between my truck and the tractor with the driveshaft in between, but dad thinks I've got more pressure on it with the jack then I could put on it between 2 vehicles. I'll fight with it a little more, but will start searching the local yards for one since I need it this week. Will 1/2T truck front driveshafts fit blazers?

9. dleroy43

Get a tourch and heat it up

look for a tuck/burb/blazer with the same trans/ tcase combo as yours and it should work