Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Front Driveshaft Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wforicv, Dec 24, 2004.

1. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

My front driveshaft is trashed on my '87 K5. Have searched all junkyards around my area with no luck. I am fairly new to all this and have been told that a shaft off of certain 1500 pickups will work. Is this true? I am in the process of finding a 60 for the front, so I do not want to spend $300.00 I was quoted by a local driveshaft fab shop. I would like to find a something less expensive to last for a while until I can get my hands on a 60. Any help will be appreciated.

2. spartan4x4

spartan4x4 Registered Member

I would think a k10 would have the same front shaft, it shares the same front leaf springs, axles, engine/tranny/tcase combo as a k5, so i'm 99.9% sure it would work. when you swap the 60 in the front you'll have to swap the slip yoke or get a conversion joint ($$). if you can get a good used shaft then you might end up money ahead just make sure the CV isn't shot and the slip & spline doesn't have alot of play.

3. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

A Stock Dana 60 uses the same Ujoint as a Dana 44.

4. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

I have one out of my '87 Chevy (With 75,000 miles on it), i'll sell you for $75+ the ride to your house.

5. wforicv

wforicv 1/2 ton status

Just talked to a friend who says he has one out of a k10 in good shape that will fit. I am going to check it out tomorrow afternoon. jwduke, I will get back with you if his will not work. You guys rule, thanks!

6. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

For my 90 K5 I used a front shaft off of a 1997 suburban. It was only $50 at the junkyard and works great :xmas:

7. 86gmcjimmy

86gmcjimmy Registered Member

you can use any front drive shaft 73-91 they are all the same I used on from a 78 3/4 on my stock axles

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Mopar(ts)

If any of you guys have the "old" style front shaft that has the 4 bolt yoke at the transfer case with 4 threaded holes in the CV yoke(you know,the ones that suck to remove because the crossmember is in the way!)-they used it on the 69-72 K trucks,and some later years depending on what T-case it had---a front driveshaft from an 80's dodge dakota 4x4 pickup I found at the boneyard is identical to the GM shaft,length,u-joints and all--the guy at the junkyard tells me since he had more dakota's than chevy 4x4's,he often sells the dakota shafts in place of the GM ones...and the Hollander interchange book doesnt mention the dakota shaft as an alternative,but he claims its a bolt in!!..:crazy:

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

10. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status