Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

front driveshaft is a bit short

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5floyd, Nov 18, 2004.

1. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

should i lengthen it or should i buy a spacer? first, how should i measure to see how much longer it needs to be? what size tubing will i need(stock 1/2 ton drivetrain, np208 and 10b)? if i lengthen it, is it going to be balanceable? i can get a master welder at my school to do the welding. if i get a spacer, is it going to create a bad driveshaft angle(only 4" lift)? does anyone have any part #s for a specific spacer, or should i just go to my local 4x4 shop and have them order one? -thanks

2. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Ive never heard of a spacer being used on anything but a Zuk. To lengthen it it needs to be retubed. What kind of wheeling do you do. if you dont have your foot to the floor there isnt any reason to balance a front shaft that I can see (I play in the rocks no real speed). If you want it done right have a pro re-tube it and balance it (I dont have a clue how they do it). The front shaft I am running right now was for a 203 tc and is longer than the one for a 205, I ground the weld off pulled the yoke, chop sawed the tube stuck it in rolled it so it looked perfect tack welded it checked it again then welded it all the way. works great. I do plan on re-tubing the one I turned into a pretzel but been thinking about receiver hitch tubing for my tube, this will be a spare.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A spacer is less than ideal but if all you need is 1", you might consider it. let me know if you want to use the spacer and I'll get ya one much cheaper than your local 4x4 shop with free shipping.

I'd prefer to see you build another driveshaft though. There are a number of options depending on what you want to spend, retubing the stock one or building a bigger, stronger one.

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Get the shaft lengthened. Shouldnt cost you much if the rest of the shaft is in good shape. They will balance it for you when they lengthen it.

5. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

i was talking about cutting it apart and putting in a peice of tube like a sleeve. i dont have much money, thats why i was thinking about it. how much should it cost to get it retubed?

6. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

well... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. Sam 10b

Sam 10b Registered Member

Well you measure it eye to eye, but don’t take any advice rjfguitar gives cause he has no idea what he is talking about and he posted on almost every thread.

8. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Probably get it done for $100 or so.

If you can weld nice... just do it yourself.